Strong Criticism on Front Page of The Nation

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Uk doesnt want to hold on to Northern Ireland, the majority in Northern Ireland want to remain part of the UK as long as that is the case the UK has a duty to provide security to the region.

The Spanish want to hold on the Basque region for mainly econimic reasons.

The Chinese want to hold on to Tibet for ideological reasons and because the Chinese are being stupid.

STH

Problem in the borders provinces is that they do not really think of themselves as Thais! (Note there is no problem with the ethnic Thai Muslims anywhere in the country.) The majority of the population in Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani are ethnic Malays who speak a Malay dialect. The educated people have more of less come to think of themseloves as Thai, but the poor and rural majority consider themselves as living in an occupied region.

It is only in fairly recent times that the term Thai Muslims has been used to describe the folks in Narathiwat etc. It was begun by HM the King as a gesture of sympathy. Before that, the government actually called them Malays!

Zanemay, final warning. Lay of the racist crap or you will get your ass kicked off the board.

KS:

I do not with to interfere with the moderator action but I feel I must point out that Zanemay's comment is definitely not racist. Unless someone mistakenly considers Islam a race.

Upon rereading various comments in this thread, Zanemay's comments, like everyone else's, are political opinion.

Could you please clarify what makes his, but not others', a basis for having one's ass kicked off the board?

Hi,

"Unless someone mistakenly considers Islam a race."

That is a bit nitpicking, isn't it? I know he is commenting on muslims and that that technically isn't racist, but ???ist (don't know what the correct word is). Point is that he is attacking an entire group of people for the acts of some.

As for why his are different, I do not see the others as hate mongering.

Sanuk!

zanemay said:

WTF cares what Indonesian press is furious about, any more than what Al Jazeera is furious about? .

Indonesia is a democratic and laic country, with a large predominant Muslim population, but with also a significant Buddist, Animist and Christian population; anyway 95% of the indonesian Muslim population aren't "orthodox", but follow a style of Islam that has been syncretized with Animism, Buddhism and Hinduism ........ nothing to do with Al Jazeera.

The fact that nightlife in Jakarta is FROM FAR the best in SEA, if not on planet earth, is the proof that Indonesia has no lessons to receive about individual freedom from whoever (no 1am closing in Indonesia).

And what's being Muslim (or whatever) has to do with the legitimate everyone's right to express an opinion BTW ?

I just finished speaking to a Thai friend that I've known for 2 years and never knew he was Muslim. He told me he was muslim through birth but never practiced Islam, never prayed and was just a regular Thai guy . Then after hearing about what happened in the South He's wearing the Muslim Kufi(cap) and practicing praying and other Muslim duties.

Archived