Helping Thai Sex Workers in Japan by Thai Embassy

jasmine

Articles in Weekly SakulThai #2609 and 2610, article ? Law.

Interpretation is done to the best of my ability.

[color:"blue"] The word ?Japayuki? is a Japanese word used for foreign women who are sex workers in Japan. The Thai women started going to Japan under tourist visa and when the visa expires, stay illegally as sex workers. The money sent home generates the desires for families to send the daughters to Japan, many families think that the women are working in restaurants (which some are true) but most of them are sex workers. Because of the money, there are recruiters who took the women to sell in Japan. The year when there are most Thai women entering Japan was 1993.

Once the women arrived Japan, they were sold at the average price of 1,000,000 Yen and the ?madams? made the women pay back 2-3 times of the amount. (the present price is 5,200,000 Yen) in addition to the pay back, the torture, abuse and lack of freedom was prevalent. If the women ran away, a few of them got killed. Because of this pressure, there were cases when some Thai women committed murder and being in jail for life.

It is a tragedy for these women who mostly wanted to help their poor parents/families. It is strange that Japan, a country which is very strict in letting foreigners into their country, however the human traffickers still can send the Thai women in regularly. One reason is: Japan does not have a serious law to punish recruiter/traffickers severely but does have a law to punish the women who overstay but jail time and deportation. Japan does not look into this case as the women were lied to and trafficked by the international criminals. Thus if Japan does not have law punishing the human traffickers, Japan will be haven for human traffic.

Thai sex workers can be divided into 3 categories.

1. Ones who can not accept the way they are treated so try to run away. The average numbers of customers are 10/day. The run-away is not an easy task, if caught they will be tortured/killed. These woman lack education, don?t know where to get help, they normally cannot speak Japanese nor English, also the document such as passports are confiscated. Thus there are very small amount of the women who make it to the Thai Embassy.

2. The women who unwillingly stay to pay their debts. Once their debts are paid they leave to work in factories and can not get good jobs due to their low education. Some marry Japanese men and face the cultures differences especially with mother in laws. Thus there are small percentage which such Thai women who are married to Japanese men are happy. Worse because the unemployment is high, the Japanese husbands are out of work, the Thai women must go back to prostitution to feed the families. Many such women get divorce and fight the husbands for the children?s custody and most cases the women lose.

3. The ones who are willing to do the sex work but have pressure to make money as much as possible. With such pressure, the women tend to get into drugs, patronize men bars, and gamble. Many of these women are in debt and cannot pay the debt so the work goes on with no relieve. Many of them get sick with AIDS and must go back home to die.

The Thai Embassy work:

Below are the quantities of the women whom the Thai Embassy helped:

Year Quantity

1986-1998 1,486

1999 21

2000 19

2001 30

2002 33

2003 30

Total 1,607

It is found that the Thai women who go to Japan, 80% are from Northern provinces, most are from Payow, next are from Lampang and Chiangrai. The average age is 23. The survey has also states that there are sex workers in the quantity (estimate) of 6,500 which is found that some are willing to do the work, some are not which the Embassy is trying to help. Listed below are activities that the Embassy is trying to do:

1. Trying to ask the Japanese government to pay more attention to human traffic problems and pass more severe laws to punish them. Also, ask for help from NGO in Japan.

2. Asking for help with other organizations in helping such women who get helped back to Thailand. Asking for the care for these women from the time they arrive at the airport and give them a shelter to get them in better shape physically and psychologically before letting them go on with their lives.

3. Give the villages/provinces information to ensure that they do not think that Japan is a heaven for money and educate the people so they do not believe things the recruiter/traffickers say. To ensure that it is not the ?heaven? but ?hell?. This knowledge will ensure that the elders do not push their daughters to go.

4. Work together with relevant organizations to eradicate the recruiters/traffikers.

5. Talking to the Thai Airways in order to get the victims or other Thais who have a hardship special price plane tickets.

6. Start the program to train the Thai women (who decide to stay in Japan) other professions. The professions are such as Old Thai massage, Thai cooking in order to give them some training to do other works rather than just prostitution. This will help the ones who are divorce to gain good employment; do not have to get back to prostitution. [/color]

I feel that many women enter into prostitution from the pressure of the families and the desire to help the families. If these women have gainful employment at home, they will never leave. If I have a magic wand, I would just give every one gainful employment :(

Jasmine

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jasmine said:

5. Talking to the Thai Airways in order to get the victims or other Thais who have a hardship special price plane tickets.

Hmmn. I wouldn't be too optimistic about that one, Jaz. :nono: I staggered into Thai Airways' main Bangkok office in May and attempted to procure such a "hardship special price ticket" on the honest grounds that I am a profligate, indolent, alcoholic sex-tourist who'd spent all his holiday money on boozing and shagging tarts. :beer:

They showed me the door and told me never to come back. :(

jack :help:

PS.

jasmine said:The word ?Japayuki? is a Japanese word used for foreign women who are sex workers in Japan.

Speaking as someone who's had first-hand experience of shagging the very women you're talking about here, I doubt that 'fact' too. :nono: In 15 years of shafting hookers in Japan :applause: I've never heard the word "Japayuki" (and neither, based on a straw-poll I just did, have any of the Jap blokes in my office, all of whom have also shafted or been sucked off by a few foreign hookers in their time :hubba:): sounds like a made-up term from a zealous journalist. :doah: The Japs call foreign tarts "baita". (The correct word for prostitute is "shoufu" but nobody uses that, except when they're complaining about all the filthy Thai/Philipino hookers running riot around the country on TV. ::)

What give Thailand a bad name for prostitution is as much, if not more, about Thai women abroad. In Europe a sign saying Thai massage is taken to mean sex. To change the perception about Thai girls the first move should be to discourage girls from going to other countries to work in the sex business.

In addition the fact that many seemingly harmless jobs turn out to be recruiters in the sex industry should be well publicised in Thailand. I had the hell of a time persuading a girl I knew that cleaner in Germany was not going to be what she thought. ?They buy ticket and every thing and I earn 25,000 Baht one month!? She did not go after I painstakingly went over what would happen, and ?no? if it went the way I thought it would she would not be able to call home and would probably not have any money to send home!

But the crunch point is touched on: why so many girls from Issan go into the sex business. The simple answer is that it looks like the most worthwhile career move. If Toxin and his merry men really want to stop prostitution in Thailand the place to start is creating worthwhile and well paid jobs in Issan.

[color:"red"] In 15 years of shafting hookers in Japan I've never heard the word "Japayuki" (and neither, based on a straw-poll I just did, have any of the Jap blokes in my office, all of whom have also shafted or been sucked off by a few foreign hookers in their time ): sounds like a made-up term from a zealous journalist. [/color]

Good post Jack

I went back to the article, this is how it explains "Japayuki".

[color:"blue"] "japayuki" means going to Japan. The root of the word is "Karayuki" which means the Japanese sex workers in China eons years ago. "Kara" is China and "Yuki" means "go". Thus the word "yuki" is used to call sex workers, thus "japayuki" means foreign sex workers who come to Japan. [/color]

The document I interpretted from is a copy of a Thai embassy to Japan document.

Again Jack thanks for the good post.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]If Toxin and his merry men really want to stop prostitution in Thailand the place to start is creating worthwhile and well paid jobs in Issan.

[/color]

I agree that creating jobs should be done. However, I also feel that stop prostitution should be done at the home front. Many poor young women do normal jobs (which the income is terrible) and they survive, not well but they are surviving.

Not only gainful employment should be created, the training must be done.

I have a friend living in Huahin with a 29 yr. old ex-BG who cannot read. He got her into selling hamburgers so she could have a skill. He said it is very hard telling her in food sanitation but she is very intelligent in money managment. I feel that with certain guides and support, many of these women can do well.

Jasmine

"If I have a magic wand, I would just give every one gainful employment"

Its a wonderful wish, but things aren't that simple.

When stories of women working in Japan (or Phuket for that matter) make it back to the village, backed up by mom getting a new house, it fans the flames of jealousy, and other moms start thinking of how they can get their daughters to cash in. 4,000 baht per month will not satisfy mom.

Sometimes it's the daughter's pride that she can do this for her family. Often its just plain greed - consider someone who was literally dirt poor all of her life, suddenly having a chance to earn in a day what her family could earn in months.

Many of us would like to see fewer women being damaged by "the business", but there are no simple answers -even with a magic wand.

RickF

jasmine said:Good post Jack... Again Jack thanks for the good post.

I am simply saying nothing that is not honest, pet. :nono: You post a provocative, loaded article like the one you selected on a board populated by P4P fans, whoremongers and sex-tourists, and you takes your chances, I'm afraid. :o

Show me a male Nanaplaza poster who has never had sex (or wished to have sex) with a prostitute and I'll show you a fish that can't swim. :p Do you think the "sex-workers" in Thailand fuck us because they want to? :doah:

jasmine said:I went back to the article, this is how it explains "Japayuki".

[color:"blue"] "japayuki" means going to Japan. The root of the word is "Karayuki" which means the Japanese sex workers in China eons years ago. "Kara" is China and "Yuki" means "go". Thus the word "yuki" is used to call sex workers, thus "japayuki" means foreign sex workers who come to Japan. [/color]

Nice try, sweetheart, but, again, I'm afraid it's a load of bollocks invented by an ill-informed, non Japanese speaking journalist. :doah: Yes, "yuki" can mean 'travel' or 'go', but the Japanese do not refer to their own country as "Japa-" without the final "-n" sound (it would be too close to "Jap", which they find deeply offensive) but rather 'Nihon' or 'Nippon' (depending on desired phonetic effect: the central plosive in Nippon makes them use that version when they're excited or angry). Thus "Nihon-yuki' would be used where your journalist pal suggests "Japayuki". ("Japan-yuki" would be acceptable to modern Japs, but I've never heard the term.)

"Kara" does not mean China by any stretch of the imagination. "Kara" means empty, as in "kara-oke" (empty orchestra) or "kara-te" (empty hand). The Japanese word for China is "Chu-goku".

To repeat myself, I work in an office together with 12 broad-minded :: Japanese men, and not a single one of them has ever heard the word "japayuki". There are 3 Japanese "office ladies" working in the office too, making tea for us blokes, watering the plants, picking up our shirts at the dry cleaners, and whatnot, and none of them had heard the term either. I rest my case. :applause:

Good post, Jasmine. :up:

jack :beer:

Jack, Jack, Jack ........... only 3 "office ladies" to take care of the demands of 12 'broad minded' office workers. Shame, shame.

I had hoped you had moved much further up the ladder. :banghead: Strive Jack, strive.

"Kara" does not mean China by any stretch of the imagination. "Kara" means empty, as in "kara-oke" (empty orchestra) or "kara-te" (empty hand). The Japanese word for China is "Chu-goku".

Sorry dude, but you are wrong here.

Go look up Kanji JIS code 4562 (Nelson 1516, Halpern 3115). It means T'ang (as in T'ang dynasty) or China. Its kun-yomi is "kara".

"Karayuki" means something like "China bound" (as in "headed for China"). It definitely has to do with girls going off to foreign countries to be prostitutes. Google it for more info.

Archived