Money promise and the Thais are not hard worker?

jasmine

[color:"red"] You can see a picture of a girl going back to her parents house after working for say 5 years in the P4P industry and expecting the family to have saved her donations or invested it and all she finds is that not only have they spent it but that they have gotton themselves into debt because they thought the gravy train would never run dry. Result: the girl has to go back to P4P to clear the family's debt.

[/color]

This happens in the North where I grew up too. The worst I have seen was that the parents blamed it all to the daughter and shunned her when she is too old to go back to prostitution. And there are a few of these women who just scrape a living on hard labor or are living on the mercy/kindness of some neighbors, not the families. Most neighbors feel that it is their "Karma", I just feel it is douwnright shame and I have come close to the feelings of hate for these families and many times wish them disaster :o

Also, some of these poor women have no strength to say "no". :(

Jasmine

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Now, the other sisters, and herself, helped a lot too, but somehow, I never heard them being lauded and quoted as courageous for doing so, normal duty I guess....

[/color]

I do agree with you P127 (but don't get used to the idea, ok?") that some people seem to put burden to the daughters, I don't get it and will never (of course I am the spoiled daughter! :o)

Some families, like mine and many "Central" Thais I have known treat sons and daughters equally, many pamper girls. Not that I expect girls to be more pampered, just would like to see equality.

There is a hairdresser on my mother's street who came from Payow which is the towns where girls go out to prostitution the highest (according to statistics of Thai labor department of 2003) who said the reason why she never went to work because her parents strongly reject such practice. The family faced criticism from neighbors who call them "stupid", cannot understand why her family treat daughters like princesses.

It warmed my heart to hear such, I have known that my parents used to be laughed at when they kept on sending me to school, where do you think those people who used to laugh at us now?

:)

Ran into one of my late father's old colleagues the last time I was in Thailand and he remembered how my father wanted me to be a physician and was so proud of me. He asked me whether I remembered any Thais (meaning no Chinese blood) girls who grew up with me ever went to school higher than the 7th grade. I remember none. :( But remember Chinese-Thais who are engineers and doctors now.

IMO, many parents do NOT want to invest money to educated girls becuase there are still the belif that girls are not inteeligent enough so use them now before it is too late.

Jasmine

If there was one thing I wish I could instill in the girls is the fact that there is (most likely) a day after tomorrow.

I see it in money, I see it in food (eating all now in case there is none later, despite having money to buy more) and I have only one argument at the moment: The Thais have been dragged from a 18/19th century environment into the 21st century and have not mentally made the development change from subsistance farming to an industrialised nation.

No industrial revolution, no real development for the masses, no power to the people. Except now it is not fuedal, it is financial.

I just wish I had an answer, if not "the" answer.

[color:"red"] I see it in money, I see it in food (eating all now in case there is none later, despite having money to buy more) and I have only one argument at the moment: The Thais have been dragged from a 18/19th century environment into the 21st century and have not mentally made the development change from subsistance farming to an industrialised nation.

[/color]

This is NEW to me about food. Are you talking about some e Thais from Isaan? All the people I have know feel that it is rude to eat everything. :o

When I was growing up, my parents always made sure that there is cooked rice and dry food supplies in the house, mostly for unexpected guests (my father was a patrol police officer). Those days there was no hotels in the town and we used charcaol stove (the only choice) so it was not convenient to start the cooking when we had hungry guests. Many of my parents' guests were border patrolling people, a few times there were British and American (I think they were soldiers). A few such as "Nai Amphur or Palad Amphur" showed up late, late at night after their work, starving. ::

Methinks, it depends on the environment ones are raised, I have know an American man who eats everything on sight. He explained once that he grew up with several brothers who he had to compete eating or went hungry, he does not leave any food except milk and fresh products in the refridgerators, for he remember his brother used to raid them. It is funny that how we keep our baggage from the habit when we grew up.

My Hubby is not very interested in food, so when I go to Thailand by myself, I will come back finding him lose 5 lbs. :(Disgusting really in his case to be 6'2" and 160 lbs! I find food any time at my mother's house, not that she has many guests any more, just me raiding the kitchen at night when I am there :o

Jasmine

Lusty said:

Unfortunately the majority of your avarage bargirls knows nothing about the importance of financial planning and the rules of compound interest.

3 years ago I had a visitor (while in Oz) from a reasonably poor East European country. When walking around, I would stop at real estate agencies and have a look.

She would stop at shop windows oferring goods priced at 20-30$.

Then I understood - she has never had any money to plan with. Right here and right now and the stock may not last.

Your observation I think applies to all poor people, not only Thai BGs or Thais in general.

In reply to the original posting.

Thais always seem to have a slightly slower way about going about things to me. But seems natural that they grew up in a country with a hot climate.

In defense of workers the lady complained about.

Night cleaning often means keeping rediculouse hours. Older people acept it and adapt their life styles around it. Younger people are often strugling to keep friendships going and end up lacking sleep.

After a period (seemingly endless for young people) in a go nowhere menial job. It's not hard to lose focus and become uncaring about an unrewarding job.

Guest lazyphil

<<My Hubby is not very interested in food, so when I go to Thailand by myself, I will come back finding him lose 5 lbs. Disgusting really in his case to be 6'2" and 160 lbs! >>

I swelled to 100kg (6 feet 1) in my 10 month LOS stint, got it in check a bit in the last year to 85kg, but its creeping up again, 92kg last I looked, the Mrs keeps feeding me up too mutt!

The Thais have been dragged from a 18/19th century environment into the 21st century and have not mentally made the development change from subsistance farming to an industrialised nation.

--------------------------------

These days (esp. following a recent election oft spoken) more than the thais have not mentally made the change from archaic thinking into 21st one. :) or ::

Archived