Money promise and the Thais are not hard worker?

jasmine

[color:"red"] These days (esp. following a recent election oft spoken) more than the thais have not mentally made the change from archaic thinking into 21st one. or

[/color]

Hey, sorry that the election is not to your liking. However, it does not mean that people are not making progress in thinking. Matter of opinion, P127. :D

Cheers!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>The information that the Thais are not hard workers surprised me, for my experience I feel that the Thais I met here are hard workers.

Something that was in the works between your post and now.

About a Thai in BKK.

In Singapore, 2 weeks ago, I met a Thai system engineer from our BKK office.

A very nice and presentable young man, that was what I gathered then. Got friendly with him without telling much other than that I am reasonably well introduced to Thailand.

The evening after, at the galla dinner, he was presented with an award from the whole Asia Pacific region as one of the best staff members we have.

Certainly, that raised my opinion about him. Congratulated, had a drink and offered any help he might be in need.

The following day, at the airport, I bumped into him. We both had 4 hours to kill.

During the conversation, with a natural easiness he proved how capable job-wise he is and we became even better friends. Straight from the plane he was schedulled to do a very complex installation overnight. (Constant calls, in Thai, but the acronymes and the jargon were corporate). That's what he does most of the days.

A few days later, contacted his manager (a colleague and a personal friend of mine) and he told me that any recommendation for the guy's advancement is welcome.

Since my area is more robust, more important (brings in big money) and all comes to us first, he said - not to leave the Thai engineer out.

The manager appreciates him very much but is too busy to follow up on everything and anything he might be in need.

The next thing is, all his overseas training will be according to the rules my staff are entitled to.

As the first step, end of this month he'll be travelling to Japan to attend a advanced technical training in the new gear being sold in Thailand and eslewhere.

The next step is sending him to Australia for 2 more weeks of techie training.

As a Thai, in no way he differs from any of our staff, very bright, knowlegeable and a hard worker.

My point is - when you compare apples to apples, in this case a Thai working for a multinational Co, together with the most of the other nations of the World, "Thainess" has nothing to do with someone's professional abilities.

However, it does not mean that people are not making progress in thinking.

-------------------------------

sure, can you tell us what progress in thinking you have seen from thai people (ie. not just your family or neighbour), that had a clear positively sound impact in politics and daily lives? Just to get back on topic..... Thanks

pattaya127 said:

However, it does not mean that people are not making progress in thinking.

-------------------------------

sure, can you tell us what progress in thinking you have seen from thai people (ie. not just your family or neighbour), that had a clear positively sound impact in politics and daily lives? Just to get back on topic..... Thanks

the same question you could ask for many people. i especially would ask that question regarding the recent US election... ;)

[color:"red"]sure, can you tell us what progress in thinking you have seen from thai people (ie. not just your family or neighbour), that had a clear positively sound impact in politics and daily lives? Just to get back on topic..... Thanks

[/color]

More organization in public offices is one, secondly- I have noticed people are trying harder for education.

Beleive it or not, the level of up-country personnel have raised from the 2nd grade 15 years ago to the 6th grade average, including in Isaan.

Jasmine

i especially would ask that question regarding the recent US election...

---------------------

Actually, FlyW, I mentioned that above, you may have missed it, still jasmine seemed to find it not relevant to how people improve their thinking.

Jasmine, I am not sure your answer has to do with what Torrenova talked about. he did not say thais can't work in offices or learn, but IMO, he meant what they do with what they learn, and how the improvements in their life, work (maybe good organization) are affecting their thinking. I am definitely sure he did not mean thais are exactly behaving and learning the same way/thing as in the 19th century. Good organization at work is nice, but how does it translate in their own lives/thinking, it think that's the question.

I would think they were probably well organized and attuned to their environment, decades ago, last century too, and i tend to witness they try to fit all that's new about life in modern Thailand, good and bad, into their same old unchanged ways of thinking, rather than the contrary, which would be adapting.

But i never cared too much about general takes on whole population, because every country can be finger-pointed then. Hence, my smirk about US elections. Old thai ways can be endearing after all.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends, as you stated before on education level and expected career. I know in the USA a middle-aged Thai woman, married to retired Air Force guy, that can not read Thai much less English. She works cleaning houses and at a supermarket. She loves her life and the USA. She says she will NEVER move back to LOS.

[color:"red"] She works cleaning houses and at a supermarket. She loves her life and the USA. She says she will NEVER move back to LOS.

[/color]

Yes, a couple women I met in such jobs also send their kids to colleges.

IMO, some do work hard some, because of their background of making "easy money" or just plain lazy, are not willing to do hard work.

However, people from my background who feel that they are educated to have a career are, actually untrained to do manual work, I feel that such women suffer more, for it is not easy to break into "corporate America".

Jasmine

An update: that young Thai man from our BKK office will be coming to Japan for a technical training.

His manager asked me to send an official invitation.

I did and the guy was told ( at the JP Consulate) his visa will be ready tomorrow.

Wish it works the same way with our gfs.

P.S.

Several of my engineers want to get friendly with him. They are sick of BKK tourist packages and what is on offer.

One Tokyo dinner has already been pencilled down. Will try to arrange the evening to happen at a Thai restaurant where he can be a master and feel comfortable among all the strangers.

[color:"red"] P.S.

Several of my engineers want to get friendly with him. They are sick of BKK tourist packages and what is on offer.

One Tokyo dinner has already been pencilled down. Will try to arrange the evening to happen at a Thai restaurant where he can be a master and feel comfortable among all the strangers.

[/color]

A few of us Thais prove ourselves in the USA, without sounding snobbish, I was one wo was a manager in the IT field and very proud of it. Also, a few in DC/VA areas who are doctors and nurses who do well. However, not many who are in leadership positions, just one that I knew now, a female radiologist who is a chief in her department, too bad, she is retiring at age 55 this year. Well at least she lasted longer than me!! :o

Jasmine

Archived