5.000.000 job opportunities for English teachers

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen,

in case demand in Siam slows down on day I recommend to move over to China where I found the following on the business card of Zhongao Machinery , Shenzhen . Their adress by the way is : 4/F LiYuan Vapor goes Plaza 45 .

" Operate the scope "

It is every kind of to import the car bedrock accessories , reduce to shake the machine in front and back , Inside outside ten thousand direction stanza ball cage , horizontal pull pole ball , Rise tight round , separate bearings , clutch slice , platen , Every kind of aluminium products an etc.

Over to you ,

BuBi

buffalo_bill said:

Gentlemen,

in case demand in Siam slows down on day I recommend to move over to China where I found the following on the business card of Zhongao Machinery , Shenzhen . Their adress by the way is : 4/F LiYuan Vapor goes Plaza 45 .

" Operate the scope "

It is every kind of to import the car bedrock accessories , reduce to shake the machine in front and back , Inside outside ten thousand direction stanza ball cage , horizontal pull pole ball , Rise tight round , separate bearings , clutch slice , platen , Every kind of aluminium products an etc.

Over to you ,

BuBi

And that's just the lunch menu. :banghead:

Have to agree, BB : some of the written English I saw in China was beyond even the worst I've seen from either Japan or Taiwan. Just as both of those countries realised that their image in the West depended on the written word, and hired the appropriate copywriters, I believe that the Chinese will eventually do likewise.

I also find the intensely 'floral' nature of a lot of (mis)translations to be tragi-comic : in the West, even Marvel Comics wouldnt attempt to ascribe supernatural powers to their product, yet it seems commonplace in China. Come to think of it, the cosmetics industry has been making some pretty outlandish claims for decades, so maybe the Chinese arent so far off the mark.

If you want to see something, read those historic markers outside of Thai temples, palaces, universities etc. The English is so bloody awful that I have to read the Thai to figure out what they mean. It is simply gibberish.

The municipal government (or whoever) must have spent millions of baht on the damned things. Couldn't they have had a Farang -- or at least a western educated Thai -- proof read the text? They could have hired some starving English teacher (like me!) for say no more than 20,000 baht to edit the text.

But no .... "We are Thai. Can do!" As a result, the markers are an absolute waste of money.

>>>job opportunities for English teachers<<<

you are a bit late for that suggestion. since a couple of years there is an exodus of english teachers from here to china.

i guess you just found the first successful result.

Archived