building my own pc.

soongmak

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember paper punch cards. I got really reamed when I shuffled some in my father's office!!! muahahahhaha

Trash 80's and Pet's. Remember them and fergot them.

First computer I worked on was the IBM 5100 I believe. Kinda portable with a keyboard and something like a 4 inch screen.

Played Hunt the Wumpus!!! Star Trek and wrote my name and goofy stuff in Cobol if I remember correctly.

<<burp>>

Hi Soongmak,

take a look at AMDs new Athlon 64 for Socket 939. They released three CPUs with the new Winchester core (90 nanometer instead of 130 nanometer). 3500+, 3200+ and 3000+. The new winchester core needs less voltage and produces less heat. The Athlon 64 3000+ as boxed version for about 140 Euro is very interesting indeed.

Not to mention what they did with three 3000+ in the overclocking departement. Using the boxed cooler they upped them from 1.8 MHz to 2.7 MHz (one did only 2.61 MHz) and temp went up to 51°C only.

I have to tell myself that I absolutely do not need more power than I have today. Just to keep me away from the shops.

Interesting, especially the fact that they run cooler.

I also took a look at the Aldi-offer (dutch web page) you mentioned, and that one looks tempting as well. Like you said it has everything, except a second hard drive. The TV capture card is also not quite what I want, becasue it is not compatible with windows MCE.

Cheers,

soongmak

'Interesting, especially the fact that they run cooler.'

Yeah, that would be a big point on my checklist. Less heat = less noise, if I choose the hardware that can temperature control the fans. I would recommend ABIT mainboards if only their service wasn't nonexistent. I wrote to the technical support twice within the last month. I did not get an answer, not even a notice that they received my mail.

If the ALDI offer is to far from your wishes, then it's a simple decision.

I guess you have to go for a custom made machine then. Only question is if you're gonna do it yourself.

For TV input, I have a cheap digital satellite receiver card in both my desktops. No Idea if they are compatible with MCE.

It's fun building a new machine - if it works...

Archived