Websites - how do you get them to show on google ?

torrenova

I'm a complete novice at the website game but I'm trying (with a lot of help) to set one up for the bars.

I've got a holding page and a host in the USA with a .com address and trailed through the web to see how I could submit it to google, yahoo and the rest. I have sent some details but still nothing shows up.

Have I to prepare the site first ? I also read some stuff about meta tags (?) and crawlers (?) but I don't know what they are.

Any advice on how to get the damn thing showing up when people search the net for it would be most appreciated and reciprocated with a cold one if you drop by.

Hi,

Yes, creating the site would be a good start :)

Meta tags are used to add a description and keywords to the page. These are some of the things search engines use to determine what a page is about, and which determine ranking. Some others are: title, page content, image alt tags, content in header tags (H1, H2, ...), inbound links, etc, etc, ...

Best thing to do is create a couple of pages with a decent amount of content. Add a good descriptive title as well as a good description and a couple of keywords (say max of 15).

You should try to use the same keywords *) in the title, description, keyword list and page content.

Once the site is up, you can go to the search engines and look for a link saying 'Submit link' or 'Add page'. Click that and follow the instructions.

Another way for search engines to find sites is by following links from sites which are already indexed. As you mention you are doing a site for a bar (which I assume is in Thailand), I'd be happy to add a link to it on our links page. This should get it picked up by the main search engines.

*) these are the words you would want customers to find you site on, for instance for this site we use : nanaplaza, bangkok nightlife, nana plaza, ...

Sanuk!

PS Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Archived