Would you stay at Allamanda Phuket?

dean

I have a chance to book February, 2006 at the Allamanda Phuket resort. I've done extensive checking and have come up with the positives and negatives. The positive is the resort. While I no longer use timeshare bookings in Bangkok because I can find a decent hotel for $30 a night, I would prefer staying at a resort in Phuket, with the pools and activities there, particularly if I'm staying there a month. The negative is the distance from Patpong; about 30-40 minutes by taxi or tuk tuk. While I don't plan on going out every night to Patpong, I would like to go out 2-4 nights a week. I may or may not rent a car for part of the time but have no desire to drive back from Patpong at 1-2 in the morning after drinking. I guess that my question is; how much fun is it to stay in Patpong for a week or two? Is it a smaller version of Pattaya, only a little bit cleaner? I assume that the barscene is a little more expensive than Pattaya. Any comments from Patpong diehards would be appreciated.

Even if I had to pay 400 B each way, I'd paid only $189 per week for this place, so there would have to be very, very good reasons not to stay there. Now, I'm going to have to call the resort tonight and ask them if it really takes 12 hours to get from Patpong to Bing (sp) Tao and then listen to the person laughing on the other end. I could row a boat from Patpong in less time.

My mistake. I was wondering why they would use the same name for an area in Bangkok and an are in Phuket. I can alway blame it on my bad left eye. Now that I have my terms straight, Patong, I assume, is the major entertainment area of Phuket. Bangtao, where the Laguna hotel district is at, has some resturants, nice beaches and little nightlife. I have a few weeks to decide, so I guess that I'll do some more research on both areas. By the way, besides mis-reading Thai words, I manage to mis-pronounce them also. I kept pronouncing tuk-tuks like tut as in King tut. I still don't know what is the corect way to pronounce Pattaya, with the emphasis either placed on the first or third syllable. At least i now know how long it takes a taxi to get from Patpong to Bangtao, 12 hours! If I can't get a ticket on Nok air, I'll keep that in mind.

You have to decide your MAIN reason for visiting Phuket. If the main reason is to "get away from it all", then a remote resort is ideal. Otherwise Patong has the nightlife (Mardi Gra everynight), many restaurants, shopping, and crowded beaches. You can always go from Patong to less crowded beaches during the day.

Archived