The magic figure

gobbledonk

I think the trick to a 'successful' retirement is to stay both physically and mentally active. I know guys who play golf 2 or 3 times a week, read a book a week, garden, run after their grandkids... that kind of stuff.

As said before, otherwise you'd go mentally stale, and invite ill health.

Retirement's something I often think about, either here or in Asia, but the major trap (IMO) would be to become a barfly and hit the bars most afternoons/evenings. IMO this is recipe for disaster from a health point of view.

For me I'd be aiming to join some sort of health club, maybe take up a sport again, as my work down under keeps me rather fit- giving it up and not compensating with excercise would turn me into a very unhealthy character.

I'd be trying to avoid relying on the PC, internet, computer games as a way of keeping mentally active. My mother is looking at going to university for the first time at age 55. Not for work, but as a way of keeping busy, she'll be studying things that have always interested her, but due to health problems over her life, she has never been able to travel much. (archaeology, mythology, philosophy - that kind of thing). That's something I'd look at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 36 and employed in a fairly high-stree job at the moment so the idea of early retirement sounds appealling.

But a couple of times over teh last 5 years I have periods where I have been out of a job for 3 to 4 months, one time voluntarily and the other not. Although at the time I thought I would have so much time to do so many things what I found was without work I lacked the discipline of a regular daily schedule and pattern.

At first I would start getting out of bed at 9 or 10 am, that soon became 11am then midday or 1pm. Meanwhile I had trouble getting to bed at night eventually going to sleep around 2 oe 3 am or later. When at home I would tend to waste time watching TV etc and generally was unproductive and bored.

Obviously I am not the most sefl disciplined of people but I think the regularity and schedule that work gives your life is actually quite beneficial. Also as someone else noted I missed the social aspect of work. At home by myself I often got bored and lonely, of course could meet friends sometimes but they are busy working during the day etc.

So now my aim is to only do high stress work for a limited period (hopefully another 5 or 6 years) and then have enough money to go into either semi retirement or a less stressful line of work or maybe own my own business. Something that will keep me active and also keep some money rolling in but allow me to enjoy more free time doing things I want to do.

If I can achieve this goal being based in Thailand that would be a bonus and something to aim for. Thailand is a great country that has an exciting and busy feel to it on the one hand and a relaxing, fun feel to it as well.

• 2 months later...

I'm 53 and am tenatively planning to retire early next summer. I could keep working and increas my eventual retirement funds, but to me the trade-off just isn't worth it. I just want to get away from the rat race. I'll have at least 100,000 baht a month, adjusted for US inflation. I'll also have other money tied up in real estate and stocks. So, my big worry isn't money, but what, exactly, I'll do with myself every day. I've thought about buying a bar, restaurant, or guesthose of some sort, just to have something to do. But on the other hand, I don't want to tie myself down with another "job." I'm just hoping I can stay busy.

Rex

Archived