Duty Free SINgapore Airport

Encore

Hi,

I'm considering buying yet another new camera, but find BKK a bit pricey. Can anyone help me find a website giving prices at duty free shops in Singapore, preferable at the airport. With cheap flights available, I'm considering flying in and out in a day from BKK, and would even prefer to buy at the airport. Did that a year ago with a previous camera, and was very happy with the price, 20% less than BKK, 50% less than my home country (new model)

SIngapore used to be alot cheaper than BKK for cameras. Saved 25% on my first digital camera. I just bought the Canon 300D last week and there was really no savings between USA, SIng and BKK. Think the prices are getting a bit better here in bkk (Manf Suggest price in Sing was 1,899 (45000B) I got the kit here in bkk for 39000)

I have found that the prices around orchard road are a really pain in the ass to haggle and get a good deal. ( lucky plaza might be the exception) But in general , I would stick to one of the computer malls. THe airport was more expensive than downtown.

But be on your guard. The touts can really ruin your day at Lucky Plaza, Sim Lim Square and the Peninsular Plaza. Do your homework. Know the exact price before you even get on the plane and work from there. Also you might want to look into your tax rebate which you probably have to be there for x amount of days. Many of the places really dont want to give you your tourist tax forms and prefer under the table cash sales.

> But in general , I would stick to one of the computer malls. THe airport was more expensive than downtown.

But be on your guard. The touts can really ruin your day at Lucky Plaza, Sim Lim Square and the Peninsular Plaza. Do your homework. Know the exact price before you even get on the plane and work from there. Also you might want to look into your tax rebate which you probably have to be there for x amount of days.<

Some useful info.

Which computermall/ How many days to get tax rebate. At the airport, there was no mention of tax.

ikkrang,

I did that last year, 1 day trip to Sillypore, 1 hour meeting with customer, dropped me off at Orchard road, had a nice meal and I went shopping for cameras.

At the first shop I established with brand and model I wanted, haggled the best price, got a business card and wrote down the price ( mention if payment is cash or credit !) and move to the next one untill you really feel you have hit rockbottom for the price.

I brought back 3 cameras, 2 for friends, 1 for me.

Make sure the paperwork is ok, and get the tax refund at th eairport. I forgot how much that was.

Anyway, as pointed out by WYD, way cheaper in town.

BB

dddave said:

Just for the information of anybody considering buying the Canon 300D digital SLR ("Digital Rebel" in US); it is currently selling in the US for $900.00 complete with lens. This price includes a $100.00 Canon rebate.

David

Similar price here :39000B for the body, bag, lens, 2 CF cards, jacket and lens cloth.

Archived