Wow, it works! This is too f-in'cool...

When I was in the States dropping of my daughters at school, I decided to set them up with Vonage internet telephony. Vonage gives you a router that works with a broadband conenction. It also allows for emergency calls (i.e., the police know your address from your phone number) but they do not sell their number database so it keeps trele-spam down. And the rates are pretty good.

Well, they have a "soft phone" option that allows you to get another phone number connected to software that can travel with you. I decided to try it, thinking that it would be cool to have a US phone number while living in Bangkok. I had heard from very reliable sources that VoIP ports were blocked by CAT here in LoS. But the Vonage Soft Phone works great. As good as a regular telephone IMHO. The only thing is that you use it like a speaker phone. But one of those cool USB phonesets would be the nut. But they do not seem to be available in this part of the world :( . I am going to Oz next week. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Cheers,

SD

• 2 weeks later...

Archived