Book Worms?

Torneyboy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the new Grisham book a couple of weeks back on the plane from Bangkok.

A good read as usual and perfect for the plane as not too heavy.

Do yourself a favour and but the new Ben Elton book 'Dead Famous'.

It is brilliant.

It is a satire on reality tv shows.

His other books are really good as well, "High Society" is my favourite.

If you want something a little meaty and you like historical fiction then I would recommend any of the books in the Roman historical series by Colleen Mculloch...

Zorro said:

It is brilliant.

If you want something a little meaty and you like historical fiction then I would recommend any of the books in the Roman historical series by Colleen Mculloch...

Ben was just out here promoting this book ...always great interviews.

Will have a look at his new one ...sounded good.

Zorro said:

It is brilliant.

Zorro,

I like historical fiction myself. I am now reading Spartan by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. He also wrote the trilogy Alexander and The Last Legion. Very good stuff. He's a historian, journalist and archaeologist, and the Professor of Classical Archaeology at the Bocconi University of Milan. Well written and interesting and filled with facts that make the read almost a history lesson as well as a good story.

Cent

Dog,

Will do. Would you like me to throw it in my bag and bring it along for you when Im get back next month? And do you still have your Alexander copies I could borrow? I have a few others I meant to bring to BKK on my way down, and can't remember if I gave them to the Professor for you gents or if I forgot them totally. I have Anil's Ghost which is very good I think you'd enjoy, and a decent Indian historical novel I forget the name of at the moment that was a pretty good read as well.

After my Dad's funeral last week my youngest brother and I were talking about books, we got our love for reading from our Dad, and he was suggesting sending me boxes of used books to Surin via mail (bulk rate, cheapest and slowest way to mail.)for me to start a small used book shop for the English language readers in Surin. (There seem to be more and more farang there every day and not an English language book shop in sight in the whole damned city, so the idea has merit and I do have a shop and the space to put up a few shelves.) Have to see what the rates are and if it would even be worth this. I did get him to promise to start sending along the English language monthlies magazines like Time, Newsweek, National Geographic, Maxim and such just so I'd have some stuff to have to read besides books kicking around the house and shop. Easier and lighter fare one can read over a coffee once the daily newspapers has depressed one enough for the day! ::

See you in a few weeks Doggie. Probably the middle of January. Hope to get my W-2's in quickly and taxes done before I leave so I don't have to return before the 15th April to get them done in time, and to get the refunds quicker, which are always nice. Might buy a car with it this year, a bit tired of having just the pick-up.

Be well, and say hello to the wife and kid for me. And the rest of our friends as well if you are going to the wedding. Raise a toast for me and the rest of us friends absent to the bride and groom. Wish I was able to be there myself. Anything from stateside I can bring back for you that doesn't weigh a ton? Maybe a bottle of some wine? Some Yank vegamite? :)

Cent

The Roman series is brilliant.

There are about 6 books in the series and each of them is about 1000 pages so you get plenty of value for your reading.

You really should read Colleen McCollough (not sure if i spelt her last name right)

The problem for me with Grisham and Dan Brown etc is that i read them in a day or two whereas it takes me about a week of a bit less to read the historical fiction.

I usually read a couple of books a week as there is not much to do during the week in the desert.

Archived