Thaksin voted Innocent voted 8-7

BlazingStarz

From the Nations Web site.

8 - 7 hey, real wide margin....not, how can someone rule when it was not unanimous.

Let the games begin

Thaksin wins narrowly!!

The Constitution Court issued a NOT GUILTY verdict on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's asset concealment case, through a narrow 8-7 vote, judge Kramol Thongthammachart, one of the 15 judges, announced. However, the official statement from the Court has not been released as of 4.40 pm

The Nation

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the Nation link that Swishtz gave earlier in his post, there's quite a lot of anti-farang sentiment expressed by one poster in regard to the outcome:

Let me tell you why the foreigner (esp. the Whites) do not like it. Simple... they don't give a damp (sic) if Thailand is going down for another 10 years and the economic and currency is going down with it. They only care to screw the the girls cheaply. One one hand they behave like they know justice, on the other, I would say that hey.... Farang.. yes you.. White ass. What happen and how we run Thailand is none of your fucking business. So just go home and fuck your wife and infected her with AIDS and your country politicians with HIV.

For those who think thailand justice is wrong... Well... go back to your country and don;t come to Thailand.

Why the hack that you behave like a dog when we tell you to go back to your White farang country and you keep on begging like a dog to come to Thailand ??

No Whites or Dogs are allowed in Asia.

- thailakthai thailand

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Dont you wish at times we could erase all traces of our dirty Farang civilization from their country, just to show them how they would be living.

For starters he would not be posting on the Internet, for seconds Thaksin would be picking Rice in his mothers field.

For thirds they would be living in a swamp where Bangkok is now, with a higher HIV rate, poverty and disease.

This guy would not be driving his German car around town either.

Hmm I wonder what cars the Thais would drive, oops they dont make cars, silly me

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Reading the Nation link that Swishtz gave earlier in his post, there's quite a lot of anti-farang sentiment expressed by one poster in regard to the outcome:

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Was that written by the man himself?. The way he's been mouthing off recently I wouldn't be surprised....

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

The problem is, that thailand is in a serious crises. Who could actually take the position of prime minister in thailand?

chavalit again? I think nobody would like to have him back.

Banharn? You gotta be joking.

Chuan? Nice guy, well liked by all the western politicians, his term mainly marked by complete inactivity, especially concerning the problems of the poor.

Anand? Everybody loves him, but he just doesn't want the job.

So, who else is there?

The main reason taksin was voted for is that he gave so many promises to the poor, to the middle classes, and to the business class. Other politicians have been tried already, the never stood up to what they promised. so, give the guy a break, in two years we will see more.

And just because he seems to make life a bit more difficult for us foreigners, reg. visa regulations, cracking down on our beloved nightlife doesn't mean he is a lousy prime minister. Our petty little complaints are nothing against the coming crises Asia is going to face. Time will tell, but at the moment Thailand has no other option.

Or do you want another military dictatorship? Because that will come if civilians keep on showing that they are more concerned with filling their own pockets than attempting to solve their countries serious problems.

Or maybe another communist insurgency?

One thing I believe is sure: the last thing Thailand needs now is political instability triggered by Thaksin getting done for the petty concealment he was accused of.

That could have meant political chaos.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and shout "Thaksin is a criminal", and, "there is no justice in Thailand", but what would be your alternative.

Come up with any alternative!

Because that is what Thais did not have in these elections.

It is worth remembering that in the great Thai corruption scheme of things what Thaksin did (sorry, didnt do) is pretty small fry. I was expecting a fudge and I guess that is what this is (especially bearing in mind 2 of the judges appeared to be "persuaded" to vote in favour of him at the last minute. This is Thailand, we should not be suprised.

In the short term i suspect this is the right thing...stability, tring to recover the economy, avoiding civil unrest (which would have been very likely had there been a guilty verdict) but in the long term I worry greatly. Thaksin is not a politician he is a businessman and runs the country like a company. He gets things done, whether you approve of them or not, but he tolerates no dissent or criticism, as can be seen by his handling of ITV television channel, and also the other threads here concerning the internet. That is undemocratic, and may make a strong businessman but given his huge popular support he has the mandate to carry on with the same and that is very worrying indeed.

Already I have heard people comparing him with Mahathir of Malaysia and the guy in Singapore (Lee?) The difference between them is they were able to take control in times of economic strength while Thailand has shown no signs of serious economic recovery under Thaksin. If there is going to be renewed confidence in him as a result of this verdict then he is going to have to deliver on the economy. If not Thais will turn on him quickly enough as they have on those who have gone before him. If you want the back of Thaksin maybe the best thing to do is just not spend your money in Thailand. Difficult, eh?

crazy.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

Very enjoyable post, Fly, and if you've missed the mark, it can't be but by a scant 32nd.

A nation of 65 million and all you can get is a list of 5 names. Contrast this with the US with only 4 times the population or so, where you could easily come up with 100 serviceable presidential candidates from the 585 Senators, Congressmen and state Governors alone.

--db[/QB]

I could come up with a few more names, but they are so frightening that nobody with some sense would like to see them anywhere close to the post of prime minster.

Don't forget, this is not the US, this is a country whose impoverished village backyard is dominated by godfathers and similar types.

Take for example the chonburi area. Nothing happens there without the approval of all powerful Kamnan Po, no candidate for the parliament without his blessing, no mayor, no head of the police, nobody with power. Kamnan Po has been there forever, controlling the smuggling, the large scale drugtrade (he was working very close with the Choonhavan family, big time drugs since the end of WW2, with permission and approval of the US in the days of the dominotheory).

That is Thai politics, that is what Thaksin has against him.

I list here a few problems which the western countries do not have, for easier understanding:

40% of the population are landless farmlabours or small scale farmers

widening gap between the rich and poor, together with china the biggest gap in all of asia

a drugproblem out of hand, many villages in the north have a rate of 90% users and addicts of the adult population

massive and rising unemployment (don't rely on the statistics, most unemployed are not part of the statistics)

nonperforming loanes, i think 60% is the accepted number here

corrupt police, corrupt military, corrupt judicary, corrupt civil service, corrupt politics. did I forget anything there?

Archived