Thaksin voted Innocent voted 8-7

BlazingStarz

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Was:

It is worth remembering that in the great Thai corruption scheme of things what Thaksin did (sorry, didnt do) is pretty small fry. I was expecting a fudge and I guess that is what this is (especially bearing in mind 2 of the judges appeared to be "persuaded" to vote in favour of him at the last minute. This is Thailand, we should not be suprised.

In the short term i suspect this is the right thing...stability, tring to recover the economy, avoiding civil unrest (which would have been very likely had there been a guilty verdict) but in the long term I worry greatly. Thaksin is not a politician he is a businessman and runs the country like a company. He gets things done, whether you approve of them or not, but he tolerates no dissent or criticism, as can be seen by his handling of ITV television channel, and also the other threads here concerning the internet. That is undemocratic, and may make a strong businessman but given his huge popular support he has the mandate to carry on with the same and that is very worrying indeed.

Already I have heard people comparing him with Mahathir of Malaysia and the guy in Singapore (Lee?) The difference between them is they were able to take control in times of economic strength while Thailand has shown no signs of serious economic recovery under Thaksin. If there is going to be renewed confidence in him as a result of this verdict then he is going to have to deliver on the economy. If not Thais will turn on him quickly enough as they have on those who have gone before him. If you want the back of Thaksin maybe the best thing to do is just not spend your money in Thailand. Difficult, eh?

crazy.gif" border="0

typical catch 22.

inside the country he has to give confidence also to the village people, that will be maybe more difficult than the economy, even counter economy.

these will be the people who will start the massive unrests. i wonder how long more it will take until their level of tolerance has been overstepped.

interesting times ahead...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

db,

one thing i forgot to mention, china is not communist anymore, it is more capitalist than america has ever been. no more cooparatives anymore, china inc., preparing for a crises worse than thailand has ever experienced.

Interesting discusion. Thailand will survive, unless they do something very stupid, because the the major world ecomnomic powers can not let it fall. Since this would to destablise this region, even more than it is.

In reality things will keep going, and hopefully get better. The alternatives are unthinkable to not only the Thais.

But on Thaksin and his aquital. He was elected after all this came out. So to an extent the electorate voted for him warts and all. But he has got to perform in a real, not jsut cosmetic way, and that means getting the economy going. If he fails to do that he will be history at the next election.

Maybe this crack down, in the long term, will do good because it will demonstrate that drugs and prostitution maybe a problem but geting rid of them will not make people wealthy. The only thing that will create wealth is a succesful economy, which almost certainly requires inward investment. smile.gif" border="0

Originally posted by Swishtz:

Its a bad day for Thailand. The corruption

in this nice country is bigger than ever

on this time.

I hope the people open her eyes soon

and thinking about the THAI GOHOK THAI Party.

Look the south people, they don't vote for the rich guy on 6.1.01. Because they can

thinking more than people in other parts.

cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Mentors:

Look the south people, they don't vote for the rich guy on 6.1.01. Because they can

cool.gif" border="0
[/QB]

you are wrong there, the southern people voted for chuan, because chuan is southerner and thaksin is from chiangmai in the north.

people in most parts of the country voted against chuan, because they are tired of the institutionalised corruption and the democrat party's absolute inactivity regarding the problems thailand and its people are facing.

after trying out everyone they thought that they should give thaksin a chance after every other prime minister did not fulfill his promises.

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

[QB]you are wrong there, the southern people voted for chuan, because chuan is southerner and thaksin is from chiangmai in the north.

people in most parts of the country voted against chuan, because they are tired of the institutionalised corruption

I know but also the southern people voting

most times before Chuan also for the democrat

party. They don't believe such popular promises as TRT.

Yes the Isaan, Bangkok and North people

are tired... but after Thaksin they'll be

more than only tired.

flyonzewall's posts are interesting on this matter.The first farang I've come across with possitive things to say about MR Thaksin and the reason he got away with his corruption charge.

However I think he should be doing a stretch in the BKK hilton. The PM that is.

But then again so should half the other world leaders.

quote:

Originally posted by Mentors:

I know but also the southern people voting

most times before Chuan also for the democrat

party. They don't believe such popular promises as TRT.

Yes the Isaan, Bangkok and North people

are tired... but after Thaksin they'll be

more than only tired.[/QB]

and is there anything good with the democrat party? they are as corrupt as everybody else.

remember why chuan's first reign got cut short? remember the sor por kor 4.2 scandal?

quote:

posted August 05, 2001 16:34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Swishtz:

Its a bad day for Thailand. The corruption

in this nice country is bigger than ever

on this time.

I hope the people open her eyes soon

and thinking about the THAI GOHOK THAI Party.

Mentors only quote me on things I did say please

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

and is there anything good with the democrat party? they are as corrupt as everybody else.

remember why chuan's first reign got cut short? remember the sor por kor 4.2 scandal?

Yes o.k., but look how many corrupt politicans sitting anytime in parliament.

This problem with coalitions has Thaksin

also now.

I remember that it was Thaksin who said

between 6 month the Bangkok traffic jam will be past. This was the joke of the year!

I only hope he want really to help for the country now.

But behind him, there is Mr. Sanoh, that says

everything. The shadow behind Mr. Niceguy.

Alice Cooper would be shocked.

Archived