Thaksin voted Innocent voted 8-7

BlazingStarz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that infamous Taksin speech in Malaysia a couple of months ago, it went along the lines of

” We don’t need the wests help anymore, we as a country can make it alone”…. Well, two weeks later the tender was put out to five companies (foreign) to see who would be interested in bidding for the ‘extending the skytrain’ contract…What a surprise, not one company was interested. Thank you Mr. Prime Minister for that.

I agree that the Democrats were not all that good, but at least all the figures and graphs were heading in the right direction during Chuan’s last stint. Could you imagine Prime Minister Chuan dashing over to Kanchanaburi in a helicopter to state that the imaginary gold hidden in the hills will be used to pay off the national debt!!!! . No, you can’t.

One of my Thai members of staff was furious when he heard that Taksin had escaped punishment, as he quiet rightly says …Just because 11 million greedy shortsighted people voted him in, shouldn’t stop the other 40 million people from seeing justice…

Roger

Originally posted by Roger:

"Remember that infamous Taksin speech in Malaysia a couple of months ago, it went along the lines of 'We don’t need the wests help anymore, we as a country can make it alone'…."

I remember some five or six years ago, before Thailand's economic crash, some Western countries announced that they wouldn't give any assistance for Thailand's AIDS programme anymore, since Thailand was now a "threshold nation", one on the verge of prosperity. Predictably, Thailand raised a hue and cry, to the tune of, "No we're actually dirt-poor, give us more money"!

Quote: "Could you imagine Prime Minister Chuan dashing over to Kanchanaburi in a helicopter to state that the imaginary gold hidden in the hills will be used to pay off the national debt!!!! . No, you can’t."

I can't either. I was in India when the Kanchanaburi escapade made news around the world, and even my Indian friends, used to the mind-boggling antics of their own politicians, had the laugh of the month. A prime minister looking in a cave for 2,500 tons of gold! And all based on the "vision" of a senile old monk, who was taken seriously by a dim-wit senator, and finally by Thaksin himself, the modern entrepreneur.

None of the above ever sat down to figure out how much space 2,500 tons of gold would occupy - ever heard of specific weight, Khun Thaksin?

I think "Mad" magazine is no more, but in its absence, Thai newspapers, or more precisely the politicians they report on, provide hilarious entertainment - if only it weren't so darned serious and worrying.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

None of the above ever sat down to figure out how much space 2,500 tons of gold would occupy - ever heard of specific weight, Khun Thaksin?

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Apparently it was all in ONE railway carriage…. I would have loved to see it…. to take 2,500 tons!!!!! Even modern railway bogeys don’t take much more than 50 tons!!!!

And all in titanium cases made before titanium was ever known to the rest of the world..another honest mistake…

Roger

Archived