A little update on Khao San Road

Singhaman

I have friends in town and since we went to all the regular places already, the request was to have a look at Khao San and check on the places down there. Well, not my favourite in spot in town either, since I can not really associate myself with the backpacker community but I feel really sorry for the night life at Khao San. After a couple of drinks at the plaza we were on our way and arrived at some of the KS outside places shortly after midnight ( 12.10am) and were told that no alcohol is being served outside from 12am onwards.

Actually all the tourists like to sit outside and see the life on the street and see others passing by. Police in pick up trucks were driving the street up and down, checking on particular places on of course on the hawkers selling their stuff.

To continue to drink, you basically need to go inside in one of the pubs, but they take the last order at 1230am!!! Also the local Seven and Family mart do not sell any drinks after that.

I have to add that this was last week Wednesday - just a normal day like any others. Sure enough I couldnt let it go and was asking arround and was told that this system is now standard at Khao San and that the boys in brown show more and more their presence.

Years ago, KSR was a fun place with lots of pubs, restaurants, clubs etc to hang out until early morning hours.

This place is widely known for their open policies towards the tourist community but it appears to me now, that it is also on the list.

We left the place disappointed with no drink (the little Singha is 50THB!!) and went to Ratchadapisek to one of the outside places (Bali Seafood) and were drinking happily until the sun came out.......Sure, we were the only farangs at that time and no one didnt even bother what the time it was as long as you paid for the drinks after they had arrived (no open bill).

I just wanted to share this with you, just in case some of you having friends coming in over the holidays, looking for other options in town.

Cheers,

:beer:

S-Man,

When I was in Krung Thep in August, the 1:00am rule was in. But when I went to Hollywood Disco on seperate occasions, one night with a King Castle 2 go-go girl and later with a Rainbow 1 go go girl, after dancing, we went to eat and drink at several places on Ratchadapisek, guess what? Your right!!!!, they were all open past 2:00am and serving....what's up with that??? Can someone explain the logic?

chok dee..

HOKS

"Can someone explain the logic?"

It's easy, Thais just wanna get rid of tourists. Last january we were drinking many nights in the big Ratchada seafood restaurant. Place got packed and bands started playing around 2 am and guess the place was going until sunrise we always left the place around 4 am.

This sea food restaurant (Bo Kung pao) is always a safe bet. I kindda remember a couple of years ago to drink beer in a plastic glass with "perhaps" the music down but it's very vague and I'm pretty sure i've been drinking there late nights before and all the time during the New Social Order sobering up.

Trooper,

Just want to confirm........We also ate at the same place (big Ratchadapisek seafood place). You are so right, it got crowded, band, music video playing in background. We finally left at 4:30am.........I still don't get it though, why that place and not Nana, Cowboy or Patpong? or even just the regular dance clubs?

anyway,

chok dee,

HOKS

Among other reasons because it's more a restaurant than a gogo bar or a disco, and they don't have band playing after 2 am, but hey, who'd been drinking too much all those nights?

Archived