A special treat

Ranger

After dinner in the village one night, we got to eat a special delicasy of fried beetles. But, these were not just any beetles, but egg bearing females. Everyone from the kids to the elders rushed to get em while they were fresh out of the frying pan.

What the hell, how bad can they be?? Mmmmmm, crunchy and squishy ::. It took me 3 shots of whiskey before I got the horrid taste out of my mouth! If I was on Fear Factor, I don't think I could have ate another one even for the money!!!!! Of course, everyone made fun of the Farang who didn't like the most delicious food on the planet :).

Ranger

Well figure all those who eat crabs here, many love the female crabs with eggs or "roe" inside... some love it some turn their nose up...same with steak, try selling a "T" bone in Delhi :) depends where we are at the time, but hell, it gave you an excuse to drink more whiskey... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I find them very tasty.

Thais get a big kick out of offering bugs to falangs.

If you want to have them stop such behaviour, next time they offer bugs, sit there and eat all of them.

They want offer them to you again.

Quite right, just as disgusting to eat crab, fish or any animal as it is to crunch insects, probably more so.Stangely though meat chompers are horrified at the thought of eating dogs or horses, how about cats anyone ever had khow pat meow?-peter

• 2 weeks later...

Or 'balut', in the Philippines. They eat the chicken inside the egg, when it is developed enough to almost hatch. Beak, feathers, feet....the whole thing! ahhggg! And 'natto' (fermented beans) in Japan for breakfast.......:yikes: I used to have to serve that to Japanese tourists at 6:00am, before they were off to their golf tee-off time. The smell of that shit in the morning will sure wake you up fast.

But it's all about what culture you are brought up in. I've been here for 25 years now, and still never got into the Hawaiian food thing. Poi still tastes like crap, like it always will. Never could get into the seaweed thing, either. But I must say, I did develop an instant liking to sashimi (raw ahi fish), and a few other things, so I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I often wonder how my gf will deal with the food here, though. Not too many som tam, and sup naw mai vendors on Oahu. :)

HT

• 2 weeks later...

Those beetles sound nasty! I glad no one's put one in front of me yet!

A few weeks ago at a friends bar in Patong this farang dike lawyer I was talking to observes some of the girls eating something out of bag and asks what it was. Not really knowing and somewhat jokingly I tell her they are eating bugs.(I'd seen them eating bugs before) She doesn't believe me so I call one of the girls over with the bag of bugs.

Up till now I've managed to avoid eating the bugs. I wanted to see the lawyer eat one so I grabbed a handful and chomped them down. Grasshoppers fried with a little salt, not too bad really! No amount of coercion or cajoling could convince my "open minded" lawyer friend to try one. She will never know what she is missing!

Archived