Christmas in Thailand?? What do Thai's do?

drlove

Old Hippie said:

O.k. riddle me this then, if the calander starts with the birth of Jesus (if he did in fact really exist), then why is new year's day a week later? shouldn't it be the same day as the birth of Christ? And why do so many christian holidays mimic holidays in other cultures? occurring around the same time etc...? like wise Muslim and Jewish holidays around the same times... I suspect some of it has to do with who conquered who, and not wanting to upset the apple cart to much holiday wise...but what do I know?

Muslims believe that Jesus was one of many prophets, so he probably still has a big say in the festivities for them....could be wrong though....

Hi!

We celebrate the mid winter rites so we can feast on the pork of Odin's sacred pig. All this christian drivel has nothing to do with it. The shortest day of the year was celebrated long before the shaven men (monks) ventured north. (Most of them were killed :yay: )

regards

ALHOLK

<< Muslims believe that Jesus was one of many prophets, so he probably still has a big say in the festivities for them....could be wrong though.... >>

You're wrong.

Jesus (Issa) was a great prophet, born of the Virgin Miriam (Mariam, Mary). No Joseph, Christmas story, Roman census or anything in the Quran. And Muhammad somehow seems to have made Mary a brother to Aaron, who was running around with Moses 1,000 years earlier.

An angel of the Lord approaches young Mary one day, telling her she is going to give birth to a child -- which freaks her out. She says she is a good girl and is worried about the mysterious stranger's intentions. But anyway, she becomes pregnant and the whole village is disappointed in her. When the time comes, Mary goes off into the desert in her shame to bear her child unaided. But Allah, the Mericiful and Compassionate, takes pity on her -- since after all He's the one responsible. He makes a full grown fig tree appear bearing fruit to feed her and give her shade. POOF! It appears over her head. Then Allah causes a cooling stream to appear at her feet to give her refreshing water. POOF!

Mary somehow has her child by herself and after three days of living on figs and water (yuck!), she returns to the village. The people chastise her, but little baby Jesus speaks in her defence! "Do not condemn my mother etc etc." He is careful to add that God is not his father, since Muhammad rejected that notion. Thereafter Jesus sort of grows up and becomes a great prophet. But not once is Jesus quoted in the Quran as saying anything or teaching anything.

But the Christians manage to screw up Jesus's message, making him the Messiah and Son of God. So Allah has to choose Muhammad 600 years later to be his prophet and straighten things out again. Oh, yeah. Jesus wasn't crucified either. He just sort of disappears.

Thus Muslims respect Jesus as a prophet, but haven't the foggiest notion what he said. Christmas means nothing and the cross is a blasphemous symbol, since it represent a Christian lie.

(Been years since I read the Quran, but this is the gist of things.)

p.s. Why do so many Christian, Muslim etc holidays fall on or near "pagan" holidays? It was done deliberately to make it easier for converts (forcible or otherwise) to accept the new faith. And why do Thais like Christmas? Sanook mahk!!! (Thais have also adopted Valentine's Day in recent years.)

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Guys, can we keep this on topic (Thais & XMas)?

As for Thais erecting trees, seeing the amount of stuff on sale in Carre Four et al, I would not at all be surprised.

Sanuk!

I asked a mature Thai lady about this. She said Thai's don't do anything on Christmas but they really like New Year's - Wan Pii Mai for a good party. She added that she was most happy with Christmas when she had a farang boyfriend who gave her nice presents. She doesn't know me well enough to give me a hint! hint! But when did that ever stop a Thai lady!?

So my conclusion - from her and from the minimal on-topic response I got here - is that xmas is for farangs. The decorations and so forth are nice. Thai's like to look at such things. They don't celebrate at all or exchange presents.

The height of commerial hypocrisy that I saw is the world's largest jigsaw at the Emporium. There are 800,000 pieces and for 20 baht apiece (a pittance) you put some in place and support such-and-such children in need. It's so warm and fuzzy! Oh...and maybe while you're supporting the cause with your big 20 baht, could you please stop in to buy some of our useless, overpriced scholck?? Thank you very much, sir. Wai, wai.

So my conclusion - from her and from the minimal on-topic response I got here - is that xmas is for farangs

I would have expected a similar attitude in the worlds largest Muslim nation last Xmas, but arrived to shops decked out in a very Western fashion and huge signs saying 'Salamet Hari Natal' and 'Salamat Tahun Baru'. Go figure.

To be fair, they were more excited about New Years than Xmas, but it was still a strange sensation.

Apologies for straying from the Thai theme, but at least I stayed in the region :)

I asked a mature Thai lady about this. She said Thai's don't do anything on Christmas but they really like New Year's - Wan Pii Mai for a good party.

Pretty much the same as Miss Red said the other day. Doing nothing on the 25th, but there'll be a big one on NYE.

Hi

Yeah...we...well my wife has been buying ""double" gifts..one for Christmas and the other(a better) gift for a party on New years day at her restaurant for staff and Thai friends.

I knew i was in a learning curve being married to a Thai...just didn't know it would be this big or long :doah::grinyes:

I did ask why?...as i do most days...answer..''Thai people"" appears to cover all her answers of late :p

Redbaron said:

I asked a mature Thai lady about this. She said Thai's don't do anything on Christmas but they really like New Year's - Wan Pii Mai for a good party.

Pretty much the same as Miss Red said the other day. Doing nothing on the 25th, but there'll be a big one on NYE.

Well...now that the day has come and gone (Thank you Jeees-as!) I can at least say what happened to me.

I got a few small gifts from Thai ladies. Some knitted scarves for the cold weather back home, a lovely needle-worked pillow, some roses and a white flower. All xmas colors. There is a certain festivity about with Thais wishing farangs "Merry Khees-mas!" I got this from quite a few strangers as I walked around. They were in the holiday spirit with Mekong or Singha, and all was well.

There was also some confusion, some people thinking that xmas day was in fact New Year's day for farangs, because our calendar is different from there's and who the hell knows what we might be up to anyway.

Thai ladies that were waiting for me to drop a gift or some extra change on them only heard, "I don't like Christmas." They are too polite to tell me I'm a strange bird. They only say that when I say I'm an athiest, that I don't have a religion.

Archived