Christmas in Thailand?? What do Thai's do?

drlove

I'm baffled by the concept of Christmas in a Buddhist country. I see that many of the malls get tricked out with decorations. Xmas is not a real holiday here - it's a regular work day.

I can't believe the malls are decorated only for the foreigners. I can believe that Wan Kiis-mas has been seized as a marketing opportunity and somehow the concept of xmas (without Jesus and all that) has been promoted to the point that some middle-class Thai's actually have xmas trees (artificial) and exchange presents. Is that true? I don't know any middle-class Thais, but some of my Issan friends are going home. Maybe that's coincidence. What is going on??

I heard "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" the other day as I was walking in the scorching heat. That was funny.

According to most authorities, Christmas is not a Christian holiday but an ancient pagan holiday.

As for the birth of the Christ, some authorities believe Jesus was born in the Fall and a few believe he was born in the Spring. I have seen no authorities with any kind of credentials that say Jesus was born in December.

What I like in Thailand is watching the Thai mothers snuggle up to Santa while their off spring sits on Santa's lap. In one aspect, the east and the west are the same as far as this goes.

O.k. riddle me this then, if the calander starts with the birth of Jesus (if he did in fact really exist), then why is new year's day a week later? shouldn't it be the same day as the birth of Christ? And why do so many christian holidays mimic holidays in other cultures? occurring around the same time etc...? like wise Muslim and Jewish holidays around the same times... I suspect some of it has to do with who conquered who, and not wanting to upset the apple cart to much holiday wise...but what do I know?

" What I like in Thailand is watching the Thai mothers snuggle up to Santa while their off spring sits on Santa's lap. In one aspect, the east and the west are the same as far as this goes."

That was not Santa ! that was Old Hippie trying to have a "Merry Christmas" and a snuggle :)

OC

Archived