a cab ride from BKK airport to Pattaya...how much?

eee

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thalenoi said:

I arrived Dong Muang on Loy Kratong evening.

no taxis at 19.45, 15 people before me, 30 minute wait.

Taxi maffia asked 500b to go into town.

Thought it was because drivers want to boat their kratongs also ::

To be honest, the last time I went, I paid one of the touts 500, mainly cos a) big queue, B) I was knackered and just wanted to get to the hotel as quickly as possible and c) it included the tolls.

500 baht is no big deal especially when I consider that the same distance travelled by taxi in the UK would of probably set me back £20 (1400 baht).

Yes, I agree there are many ways to get around the scamsters. You'll part with as much money as the market demands at the time depending on how much luggage you carry and how many hours you flown beforehand. However compared to KL and Singapore airports you'd think the Bangkok authorities would have sorted this out by now. I wonder if the new airport will go the same way and be over run by the taxi mafia?

What about going upstairs to Departures and trying to snag a taxi dropping off a passenger?

I did that once when the taxi line was very long and it was the only time I ever forgot a piece of luggage in a taxi and, of course, I didn't have the little piece of paper with the taxi number on it. :cussing:

I left my backpack w/my ticket home, US house keys, camera, etc. I tought my wife took it and she thought I grabbed it. :banghead:

Mrs. CK called the police station immediately and they gave her the telephone # of the radio station all the taxi drivers listen to, and it worked!!! Later that night the driver returned with my bag intact and I gladly gave him 1000B reward. :D

[color:"red"]500 baht is no big deal especially when I consider that the same distance travelled by taxi in the UK would of probably set me back £20 (1400 baht). [/color]

500 baht is a big deal because I live here and I don't ride taxis in the UK or elswhere :onfire:

I would rather take a regular bus or even the Airport bus for 100 baht than giving my baht to the taxi mafia!

A metered trip would set you 150 baht plus toll plus 50 baht airport fee.

thalenoi said:

[color:"red"]500 baht is no big deal especially when I consider that the same distance travelled by taxi in the UK would of probably set me back £20 (1400 baht). [/color]

500 baht is a big deal because I live here and I don't ride taxis in the UK or elswhere :onfire:

I would rather take a regular bus or even the Airport bus for 100 baht than giving my baht to the taxi mafia!

A metered trip would set you 150 baht plus toll plus 50 baht airport fee.

If it wasn't for the reasons mentioned above, I would happily get a metered taxi....as for getting a bus, I might try that, but I do get worried about my luggage!

i can understand both dides of the coin here.

like Chelseafan i am used to paying obscene taxi prices in the UK and when i return home from a night out with the London Contingent i have to pay the equivalent of around 650bt for a journey of 1.9 Miles....... :cussing:

i am normally just at DM on my way to Phuket and the only time i ever made a journey into BKK i was with my #1 Girl and we were staying at a hotel for a couple of nights.

i was more than happy to pay the 600bt for their Airport pick-up because i couldn't be bothered with the hassle of getting a taxi.

but i also understand BKK Residents anger and frustrations about the costs they incur on a Day to Day basis.

if i was living in a place where the cost of living is reletively cheap i would get annoyed at the prices i might be forced to pay.

but my Girl had the right idea whenever she came with me to the Airport to see me off.

she would always the taxi driver she wanted a lift back to Patong and give him the time she would be ready.

we would say our goodbyes and i would see the taxi pull up outside at the time she stated.

always gave her the money for the return trip,but have no idea if she ever got a better price being a Thai.

eee,

No buses leave at 1:00am to 2:00am from the Airport to Pattaya. You will need to catch a taxi, go outside past all the limo hawkers, stand in line in-front of the taxi booth. The trip will be atleast 1000 baht (tip & tolls). I usually catch a limo, 1600 to 1800 baht.

Chok dee,

HOKS

Rock bottom is 800 baht, as I discovered when a clever cabbie 'flipped' me. I negotiated 1000 if I remember correctly. He drove maybe 5km, pulled into a gas station, made up some problem with the car, flagged down a another cab, quickly negotiated 800 baht to take me to Pattaya. He then turned around and asked me for the 1000 baht, gave the new driver 800, and pocketed a quick 200 baht for himself.

If you want to be really cheap, get a cab upstairs and save the 50 baht airport fee. Can skip the line if there is one too.

Late at night will cost more - it's harder for them to get fares back to BKK that late. I've done 1200 easily before.

May be a bit more now due to increased fuel costs.

Archived