If the fare is 5 baht why do we pay 10 baht?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
june11 said:

No, you tell me, and then try to explain why that is NOT the fare for you on that particular bus at that particular time.

I will, you'd probably be told the fare was 50 Baht or maybe 100, because anyone who'd have to ask probably wouldn't know what the correct fare was and would surely be overcharged. Then, I guess, you'd have to explain that the price was too high and you only asked because you thought the answer would be 5 or 10 Baht. Something like that.

At the very least you'd be charged 10 B, the higher price. Don't you think that if you asked that question to anyone in the world who was charging for a service they would quote you the higher price?

CondomKing said:

My wife just told me that she hates taking the bahtbus because it's run by a "mafia" (her words, not mine) and therefore she prefers to walk whenever possible.

The mrs is a sensible sort and quite right about these money grabbing miserable drivers. -peter

Zorro said:

It seems most posters here hate the songthaew drivers and I guess taxi drivers as well.

That sort of fits with my experience being on the other side of the wheel many years ago.

I wonder how many posters here would complain if their hotel bill or drinks bill was 5 baht too much?

Just last night the gf checked the bill at the restaurant and she immediately told the waitress we did order some item but something else was mentionned. 150 baht was corected to 120. She would complain for a one baht error.

I often take songteaw between Chumpon and the beach here. The main road does not pass thru the beach. 15 baht if you get off/take songtaew on the main road, 25 baht if you ask to pass by the beach, same for thais/farangs. Strange price structure though.

When I need to catch a night train or need early transport I call a songteaw by phone. 200 baht for 15km is ok, that's the going rate, market price.

I have no grudge against drivers any kind, just want the Bangkok taxi drivers to use their meter, sometimes that's too much to ask.

Archived