If the fare is 5 baht why do we pay 10 baht?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the whole principle thing, I also understand the amount is 5bt. The flaw with the "principle" argument is quite evident. Do you apply it with your daily dealings wihile in Thailand?

How many guys actually go up against the bar owners when they raise the prices of beverages and barfines? We all know that 1beer does not cost 120bt or a glass of watered down coke 100bt, yet it still gets paid.

We all know that a hotel room in LOS should not cost +3000bt a night simply because the name has Marriot above the door yet the market is just that even though the staff wage is about US$400 a month per person. Seems like you pay a premium to be in a farang oriented environment. I can assure you that Thai oriented venues are not that steep.

So the argument that you are fighting the greedy bahtbus driver because he is using a 2 tier pricing system does not hold much water when in essence the entire hotel and entertainment system is doing the same thing to you, yet you pay. Easier to shit on the little guy when it comes to principles.

[color:"green"] How many guys actually go up against the bar owners when they raise the prices of beverages and barfines? We all know that 1beer does not cost 120bt or a glass of watered down coke 100bt, yet it still gets paid. [/color]

Many do go up against the bar owners. Those high prices are mainly in NEP. Much fewer patrons going to those gogos and drinking less when they do. Meeting the girls after 1AM.

Haven't you noticed how popular SC is compared to NEP? Also many are bypassing Bangkok for Pattaya. 50 baht beers and 200 baht barfines.

shygye said:

[color:"green"] How many guys actually go up against the bar owners when they raise the prices of beverages and barfines? We all know that 1beer does not cost 120bt or a glass of watered down coke 100bt, yet it still gets paid. [/color]

Many do go up against the bar owners. Those high prices are mainly in NEP. Much fewer patrons going to those gogos and drinking less when they do. Meeting the girls after 1AM.

Haven't you noticed how popular SC is compared to NEP? Also many are bypassing Bangkok for Pattaya. 50 baht beers and 200 baht barfines.

Not the same.

They simply don't patronize the establishments which is not the same as haggling with a baht bus driver or insisting he takes 5 bt. They don't haggle with the bar or hotel owners, they either pay or lgo to another establishmnet. The equivalent action with a baht bus driver would be to utilize another driver that honors the 5bt fare or use another means of transportation.

Personally I can care less what guys pay, I just don't buy into the "principle" logic.

Basically these "principled guys pick the issues or fights in which they can win.

[color:"green"] Not the same.

They simply don't patronize the establishments which is not the same as haggling with a baht bus driver or insisting he takes 5 bt. [/color]

That is because your analogy is NOT the same. :doah: The bars in NEP charge the same high prices to ALL the customers. The baht bus drivers charge the higher price on farangs and not Thais.

shygye said:

[color:"green"] Not the same.

They simply don't patronize the establishments which is not the same as haggling with a baht bus driver or insisting he takes 5 bt. [/color]

That is because your analogy is NOT the same. :doah: The bars in NEP charge the same high prices to ALL the customers. The baht bus drivers charge the higher price on farangs and not Thais.

The bars at NEP cater to foreigners NOT THAIS :doah:

Therfore they price accordingly; the hotels in the area cater to foreigners and not Thais, therefore they price is much hjigher relative to the what the average hotel rate is in BKK.

You ever hear of something called "JOINER" fees at these farang oriented hotels? I have been to several thai oriented hotels and never seen anything resembling a joiner fee.

Maybe I should also inform you that at some of these farang oriented hotels, Thais citizens actually will get a lower rate? You really saw it kick in during the SARS crtisis.

Sounds like 2 tier pricing to me, does it not?

:ike I said easier to be "principled" in a situation dealing with a baht bus driver and 5 bt but somehow these principles go to the wind when dealing with hotels and bars, where they can tell you to take your business elsewhere and piss off.

jjsushi said:You ever hear of something called "JOINER" fees at these farang oriented hotels? I have been to several thai oriented hotels and never seen anything resembling a joiner fee. Maybe I should also inform you that at some of these farang oriented hotels, Thais citizens actually will get a lower rate?
Well, I live here so I do not give a rat's ass about joiner fees. But if I did not, I would not partonize a hotel that did and I would tell them why. And yup, locals get better rates at 4-5* hotels, even expat locals qulaify for that :neener:. LOS is not unique for that; pretty much happens everywhere there are a lot of tourists. Las Vegas and Hawaii immediately come to mind.

And I refuse to go to NEP and I have told owners there why (crap attitude and high prices). I was at Sheba a couple of days ago -- they are now also on the no-go list as I was charged B120 for a drink and had only 4 girls in the whole place. I'll tell the owner why I am not going to his club, even tho' he is a friend. B120 is just over my psyological threshold for price vs value. B100/drink is pretty much it for me unless the club is outstanding.

But the bus thing is nothing like NEP or hotels. The baht bus is a monopoly. You pay it or walk. No other option. So it is different.

YMMV,

SD

Zorro said:

I still don't understand why you want a make a fuss over 5 baht.

I prefer to save my indignation for things that really matter.

Hmm. Am I the only one who noticed that most of those who said they pay 5 Baht don't seem to make any fuss about it whereas all of the indignation seems to come from the posters who insist that we all pay their prefered amout? :stirthepo

Archived