Earthquake!!!

gene1944

I awoke at 8:10 AM this morning to a shaking building. I live in a high rise (25th Floor) in downtown Bangkok. The 50 story building swayed and creaked a few times and I was wondering what was happening. I checked outside my balcony and saw a group of people congregating in front of the building so I immediately departed via the stairway. Of course, there was no news available and there was no evacuation of the building or sounding of alarms!!

Two hours later, I found out that there was an earthquake in Indonesia and the effects were felt in Bangkok, Singapore and Penang.

There have been a few earthquakes much closer -- supposed to be centred over in Burma west of Kanchanaburi or wherever. One several years ago sent folks fleeing from their Bangkok high rises, leaving big cracks in some of the walls. (The landlords came around and smeared concrete over the cracks to hide them.)

Only one I've ever felt in Bangkok was 1987, when 3 hit within less than a week. I didn't even notice the first 2, but I was in bed early in the morning when the third got my two storey house rocking. Plenty of Thais were freaked out by them, but having gone through I don't know how many much bigger quakes as a kid in California, I'd say they were very minor. Still, just think what would happen to Bangkok if a really big was does hit near here some time. Ever lined up dominoes and toppled them?

::

Here in earthquake land its always in the back of your mine,

I have had 2 large ones in in Southern California that have done major damage in the city,

there have been many more large ones in the desert.

We have strict building codes for earthquake damage,

something I do not see innThailand

OC

Building code? You mean that thing all the contractors ignore here???

When I lived in Santa Maria, it seemed we got at least a few quakes every year. Didn't think anything much of them, unless they lasted longer than about 30 seconds. Then you started to wonder. I remember one time when the highway up around Bakersfield got shifted so far that the lanes didn't match up any more.

A bit more info here.

Tourists missing after tidal wave

December 26, 2004

HUGE tidal waves struck southern Thailand's popular resort island of Phuket today, sweeping at least four foreign tourists out to sea, sinking boats and forcing the evacuation of hotels, officials said on state radio.

"As of now there are four foreign tourists missing and we are conducting a search," deputy Phuket governor Pongpao Ketthong said.

A rescue worker said Phuket's major beach town, Patong, was flooded and that extensive damage had been reported.

The Thai Meteorological Department said the waves had been caused by an earthquake in the Indian Ocean. The waves that lashed the eastern sea board were caused by the aftershocks of an earthquake off Indonesia.

"There were reports of earth tremors from the southern and eastern regions as well as Colombo this morning," Spokesman S Premalal said.

Archived