Thai Tital wave in Phuket

Denmark has given 55USD(5 mill. population) & more in the pipeline while Sweden has 75USD(11 mill. population) + some firther 50USD in a special TV collection this evening!

Of course Scandinavia had the single most foreign citizens down in Phuket so that may explain our governments generousity...

Still Japans 500USD(127 mill. pop.) stand out as single largest contribution ;)

Hope this puts UK's, Saudi's & US's amounts in enough perspective?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I've just got back from having a couple of beers at my local pub, the Grapes at Belper in small town rural Derbyshire. Last night the landlord Phil, passed a bucket round the customers for donations to the earthquake relief fund, it came back with £250 (18,750 bht) which, considering the size of the pub, I find quite extraordinary. Latest figures from the UK show a £50 million donation from the government plus £60 million from private donations. Since all collections made on new years eve, have not yet been banked therefore not showing in these figures, when they are, a total of £100 million from private donations alone, are not inconceivable. For this, I am proud to be British, and 'Well Done' to Phil at the Grapes and everyone else in the UK who made the effort to help, and to all those with the compassion to contribute.:)

IB13, From the outset the UK contribution has always been one of the larger ones and will almost certainly exceed £150 M (300 M USD) from a population of 60 M which if viewed 'per capita' exceeds the Japanese. Why do you choose to link us with the Saudis?

Hi,

I think all countries have been most generous. Japan....oh my god!. :applause:

And the poor Swedes. So many lost :( Something like 3,500 people still missing? But yet they give so much (70,000,000)

But that is just not the governments. What is really impressive, is the individual contibutions from citizens around the globe. 2 billion already. The Brits, Aussie's, and Americans really have pulled out all the stops. I don't mean to leave anyone out here, but that is all the Red Cross is reporting on. One International Red Cross official has said he had never seen anything like it. It's truly amazing. Generousity from every corner of the world.

With all the crap going on in the world, it's so good to see us all be able to come together for a commmon cause. Maybe there is some hope for us, afterall? It was really good to wake up to this on New Year's Day.

And France too..... (57 mil) :hug: 55555555

1,000 US troops entered Indonesia today. 1,000 others (Marines) will be in India/Sri Lanka tomorrow. 57 boats in total, en route. Flooding there (Sri Lanka) is really hurting efforts. What else can be dumped on those poor souls???

What's up with Indonesian Government though? Appearently holding up operations, due to regulations. :: Huge stockpiles finally got there, but cannot be distributed. What is up with that???

Along the same lines as India requiring permits for any drugs entering the country. Does anyone know if that was lifted for this effort?

Thai figures have grown :( 6,400 dead, and another 4,000 missing. That's over 10,000 already. Wow....4,000 missing. I read that Kho Pii Pii had 20,000 on the island at the time, many of them vacationing students. I shudder to think how many will never be found. What a loss. :(

HT

The stories are heart wrenching. My BTF that heads up Tele Com Asia for the CP group went down with his team to set up emergency communication stations in Phuket last MOnday said he met a young Thai in the hospital who was standing on the beach with THIRTY of his fellow Uni students/poof all gone except him.ON and on these stories...

What to do? Gave blood raised some money at our building etc etc Does not seem enough-An entire family I know from Sukhothai vanished ...people I had know for a decade..watched the little one grow up- ...Had to stop watching the news

Lots of meditation now...mindfullness

A disaster of Biblical proportions... :(

Pe7e,

UK outpouring has been extraordinary, in every sense of the word.

Don't worry about it. You guys have shown your true colors, and have really risen to this occasion. I'm proud of you all!

It's not a numbers game. The true scope lays within individual contributions, which you are not likely to see, attributable by country, so much, other than what the Red Cross reports.

But who cares?.....the important thing is to get aid to those that need it now. It's really not important where we live, and who gives most, as a nation. What is important, is getting these people out of the shit situation they have been put in, and getting them back on their feet.

To witness the good will, and concern for our fellow man, has been pretty inspiring to me. When the shit hits the fan, it's reassuring we can all put aside petty differences.

HT

Hi,

>>>>>An entire family I know from Sukhothai vanished ...people I had know for a decade..watched the little one grow up- ...Had to stop watching the news

Lots of meditation now...mindfullness

A disaster of Biblical proportions...<<<<

I once went to Kho Tao with a girl there, after I met her on the internet, after getting to know her for 5 months, and think I spoke of her here. She moved back home to Krabi to open a beauty shop with 6 employee's, but is dead now.

>>>Lots of meditation now...mindfullness>>>

Me too.

HT

sorry to hear of your story HT......

i know of 2 friends who died on Beach Road in Patong.

owned a sort of general store and always my first stop every Day to buy the paper and get my cigarettes.

would always take the time to talk to them and laugh with them.

:rip:

Was suppose to go and take pictures of a Thai lady graduating from University. Beautiful lady who wants to become a judge.

She is no where to be found.

Hi Sayjann,

I doubt too many here don't know of someone who has died in this mess. I am thankful that we have not heard of a board member, or one of their immediate family, who perished in this disaster. All things concidered, that's pretty remarkable.

But it does not mean that the loss of a secretary, or close friend, produces any less pain.

HT

Archived