Thai Tital wave in Phuket

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Hundreds of thousands are in relief camps in India. Food, water, and clothes are plentiful, where they exist (camps).

Worry is health concerns about so many being crammed together, but so far-so good. No big problems with that, as yet. But health workers saying that can change within a few hours. And a constant concern. Health officials fear the worst, saying children deaths could go much higher, if outbreaks occur.

300 hundred Marines on the ground in Indonesia, with 1,000 other troops to arrive tomorrow. Aircraft carrier group is also there. Made their first drop today, with 30 helicopters, and headed back for re-supply. 3,500 staff on carrier ship alone, with the ability to turn sea water into potable water, which is crucial in supplying to many area's.

Bad news... India is refusing US help, as it apparently wants to show the world it can take care of it's own, and wants to have a 'center stage'. ::

Now is not the time to be flexing muscles. I saw a problem before, with them saying the would not relax drug laws, just to accommodate their own victims. :: What is up with them? Not good. Now is not the time to be playing politics. Huge stockpiles of goods can be seen, but they are not accepting. :cussing: Just sitting in warehouses, but no way to distribute to those in need.

Huge military effort will be underway tomorrow, in Indonesia. Troops already there, and a massive effort will be expended to this area. After 1 week already, it's about time, but at least help is now there.

I saw an interview with a US helicopter pilot who has seen it all, being through numerous wars. He said he has never seen anything like this (in Indonesia). Very telling of the true situation. It's really bad there. With more than a few extracted, expressing dismay at how long it took for anyone to come help them.

HT

>>>Bad news... India is refusing US help, as it apparently wants to show the world it can take care of it's own, and wants to have a 'center stage'. <<<

actually, after having seen the rim of a few warzones, and especially the last nightmare, i have some sort of understanding why india might refuse the aid organisations and outside help. a bit of mixed feelings. often such aid is coupled with certain backdoor dealings the public rarely gets to know about.

my personal assessment of the situation here is that the desaster relief organisations were needed in the first days (but weren't there), and when they finally arrived, they did some good, but also added to the confusion and did more than a bit of harm. and often worked more for the cameras than the people.

on a later stage they will be needed again, to help building up things, but after the first days the local authorities (who were inactive as well in the beginning) are perfectly capable to handle things themselves at the moment.

i don't know - but it all looks very different on the ground than is presented on TV.

i am very disgusted by the selfproduction of certain individuals right now on TV, individuals i would have liked to see actually working during the madness. but who have shined by their absence.

I doubt too many here don't know of someone who has died in this mess. I am thankful that we have not heard of a board member, or one of their immediate family, who perished in this disaster. All things concidered, that's pretty remarkable.

Happened to me this morning.

First confirmed Belgian dead was a baby of 11 months old.

Just learned it was from a nephew of my mom.

At least they found the body and will manage closure.

My heart goes to all of them who will not be able to bury their relatives and make closure.

Horrible.

BB

Hi Fly,

And did you not live there for a while? And your Dad also?

I'm sure you have a better take on this....certainly better than me. But not good that India is refusing aid. They need it there, pure and simple.

HT

Hi BB,

Yea... it is all horrible. Too incredible to even concider. Hard to believe I will never talk to my Thai friend again. And she was doing so good, and working so hard. :( It's all so sad.........

HT

I don't think I linked anybody - I merely added some countries figures to the ones already mentioned - just to put it into wider perspective on a per citizen comparable basis.

Also I'd like to mention that disasters happen every day be it a tidal wave or someone died from hunger, accident or disease without support from a rich & responsible welfare state.

So what really matter in the long run is continuous aid & contributions like support of growth in the developing countries like india & indonesia. Hell even LOS still has a long way to go ;)

i have mixed feelings.

i am not on the ground in india now, so i can't really say for sure other that i can somehow understand their refusal, based on what i have seen here. and some of what i have seen here of the aid and media circus was not nice, but presented very different on TV.

i can't say from here if they really need it. india has vast recources, an army well experienced and trained in desaster response.

who knows? their refusal might very well be inspired by a mishandling of the katch earthquake of aid organisations we never got to hear about, or by some other behind the scene demands we will surly never get to know. sorry for being a suspicious type here, but if there is one thing that recent experience has taught me (besides others more philosophical, humanistic lessons), it is that things are often presented by certain vested interests in a very different light for less than altruistic reasons.

often the media throws itself on certain issues, sensationalises them, while at the same time ignoring other issues completely. maybe india is able to cope now themselves. thailand at this stage, for example, definately is.

one thing though is sure - india might need assistence at a later stage, when a well ordered build up is in process. and i am sure that they will then ask for help if needed.

aid agencies do generaly rush into desaster zones, difficult to see the difference between the ones who have experience and a plan to cooperate, and the ones who have more selfserving reasons. often,with their well known high handed manner they do aggrevate the locals.

difficult to say, but i can think of plenty of reasons for india's refusal, besides the appearant obvious. and of course i can think about an equal amount of reasons why vested interests inside india would prefer to keep them out for their own selfserving purposes.

very confusing.

Hi,

Not so confusing. And I understand what you are saying. ;)

Any word from Myanmar? They had to have gotten hit, but are being very closed mouth about it. Another country detirmined to go their own way? ::

>>>>>but if there is one thing that recent experience has taught me (besides others more philosophical, humanistic lessons), it is that things are often presented by certain vested interests in a very different light for less than altruistic reasons.<<<<<

It's about time you learned this. Christ.....Have you been living in a cave your whole life, or what? :grinyes:

HT :p

Guest lazyphil

Belper!... Some of my family lives in Stoney Middleton, Bakewell, my dad was born in Chesterfield. I My dream is to settle someplace like Monsel Dale, gods country! (not just a Christian god, any god!)

Archived