Tsunami: the aftermath

kamui

lazyphil said:

I've already informed the Mrs ghosts dont exist :)...and all will be ok in the south for a holiday, shes not convinced by my wisdom :(

I just asked my wife and was informed that we will NEVER be visiting Phuket or anywhere near there ever again. Both because of ghosts and now she thinks that what happened will happen again and would be scared to go to the beach. You can not convince a Thai that ghosts are not real nor change any of their other beliefs that have been ingrained since birth. I've given up trying and learned the hard way not to make fun of certain "silly" beliefs.

Ranger

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a person dies, their hair continues to grow, so does their finger nails. So the next question would seem to be does anything else continue to live on? What about a person's mind?

All bodies, living and dead, radiate energy. When a person dies, does some 'conscious' energy still remain behind? Virtually all religions say yes but a lot of people say no. Odd paradox.

"superstition has nothing to do with logic, mousy!

and many thais prefer superstition to logic. "

Using logic - prove or disprove that ghost exist? What about angels? Spirits?

They (Thais) can not prove their position nor can you prove your position.

Other words, both sides hold the position that what they believe to be true is in reality only a theory. When it comes to things of this nature, we just do not know.

From the stickiest of scientific views, no theory is true/valid/real without some form of verifiable repeatable data. So saying that ghosts, spirits or whatever...do exist because I can't prove they don't is actually a misnomer. The fact that there is no quantifiable data (to date) showing their existence, actually proves that they don't exist.

Hi LP,

You know...that is a very real thing. My gf also believes in pii. Hard to deal with, as I'm sure you also well know. :D

But we are digressing here, and should all get back on topic. ;)

HT

And the aftermath from all of this, will be staggering.

Oh my God!. So many dead. And so many sad stories. How many had their babies ripped out of their arms, while trying to save them. How can you not think of that split second, for the rest of your life? So much damage. Not just loss of life, but the emotional damage to so many...... :(

HT.

This new year's, I think I will just sit here, and cry. This is just so devastating to so many. I find it hard, to celebrate anything.

SiamIam,

"From the stickiest of scientific views, no theory is true/valid/real without some form of verifiable repeatable data. So saying that ghosts, spirits or whatever...do exist because I can't prove they don't is actually a misnomer. The fact that there is no quantifiable data (to date) showing their existence, actually proves that they don't exist. "

Agree with you.

On another note, try convincing a Thai of the above and tell me what his'her facial expression looks like :D

"The fact that there is no quantifiable data (to date) showing their existence, actually proves that they don't exist. "

But according to those who 'beleive', they claim there is ample evidence. The problem is, neither side can PRODUCE CONVINCING ARGUMENTS for or against. A person who sees 'ghost' will look at the person who says there are none with skepticism.

Maybe this disaster may bring about a healing in this area between Thais and falangs. Falangs feel Thais are wrong and Thais generally like to keep this believe of theirs to themselves as another one of their many secrets.

I myself use to do stage shows on this subject. My favorite was to have a group of people assemble. I would have one person get a chair and put it in the middle of the room. Then I would have each person come forth and using their hands, see if they can feel something in the chair. I was always surprised when everybody could feel somebody sitting in the chair and some of those people could tell the sex of the person - saying it was a young man.

This can easily be explained as hypnosis, but the next question is "what is hypnosis"?

I think the answer to the questions regarding ghost, spirits, God might be better understood if we knew more about hypnosis.

[color:"red"] Now in my show, things would appear in the room - for example the young man but the opposite can occur also - things can disappear from a room. So if ghost can appear, they can be made to disappear. Thais and people who believe in ghost can follow this argument and accept it. [/color]

Instead of agonizing Thais by saying their beliefs are #$%^^&, there might be a sound basis for their beliefs and a common thread with other belief systems.

With this disaster, Thais will look at Phuket differently then falangs will. Those that have wives and girl friends may have problems in this area. We can leave the problems alone and let them get worse, or there might be ways to ease the pain and suffering and get things back on their 'proper' track. Being judgemental in this area just does not work. To win the battle but lose the war does not make sense.

not true MM,one of those urban legends.

the body shrinks and therefore it appears that the hair and nails continue to grow.

i have worked with bodies for over 25 Years and see the effects of shrinkage every week.

with all these 1000's of bodies being in the water they will bloat and then suddenly get smaller when all the gases expel themselves.

the body of a person being in the water for a couple of days is not very nice........

Archived