Indonesia is so Fucked!!

JJsushi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Artiew, Adik, Carlton, have you some news from the others Sumatra's south coast cities like Padang, of Nias Island, and of the southern and western shores of Java like Anyer, Carita or Pagandaran areas, which are traditional vacations spots for many Jakartanese

Hi Prosal,

I am afraid that I dont have any news - my GF in Jakarta has assured me that all of her family and friends are fine, but I got the distinct impression that they dont leave Jakarta very often, and then only to go to Bali. I'll email her for an update.

Cheers,

Artie

Hi Prosal,

no, I have no idea, all the info I got is from The Jakarta Post and german TV.

They never said anything about the string of islands that shelter the south-west-coast of Sumatra. If I look at the map I think the more you go south from Aceh the lesser the impact of the waves. And Java was sheltered by the big mass of Sumatra. Same goes for Singapore.

Minuman,

Bukkit Lawang had it's flood last year, so I guess they are still occupied with rebuilding.

'Actually the rebuilding has progressed surprisingly quickly there'

So they have TVs but don't look at the news? Strange.

Btw, anyone heared something about the Andaman and Nicobar islands? They were so near to the earthquake that it must look like Aceh.

I always wondered how it had looked like after Krakatau in the 19th century. Now I know. Wish I woudn't.

Sure they have tellies, but I'd guess there wasn't much for the news-reporters to report about at that point (early afternoon on monday). Anyway that's not the point, my point was that it was surprising -for me that is- that the quake had no remarkable effects inland, while people died en massé just a stone's throw away. They had felt the tremors but that was that.

Artiew,

You are probably right. It affects only certain geographic areas. Other people at least economically are not affected in indonesia.

Is not indonesia a country of 270 million people spread over many many islands?

Lets say up to 120k people will have died from this disaster. Not knowing what the real figure will be..

I wonder what the annual rate is for aids, TB or diarhea or some other children killer in indonesia?. How would these numbers compare?

Fortunately, we have a tendency to respond quickly when new and a large number of people are killed (i.e. airplane crash) but when we lose the same number of people or greater (i.e. car accidents) but over time or when the "new" disaster becomes a regular one (i.e earthquakes in the middle east), the shock value wears off and we have a tendency of just accepting it as fate, Oh another famine or earthquake... big deal!

I see this similar to the charles mansion crime as anyone who lived in that era remembers it well due to the initial shock value of it all. But with each suceeding mass/serial/brutal killings thereafter, we either block them or accept them as part of our changing society Maybe it is called adaptability which is not always a good thing....

Famine or civil war in africa becomes so common place we don't even think much about it when it does happen in these far away places anymore when we do hear about it...

So is the whole of indonesia and the average indonesian "fucked" because of what took place last weekend? Probably not...

Cardinalblue

CB, you're right about Indo - a large island country, but sumatra being the largest I think & where e.g. their main oil & timber supplies originate...

Still of course the whole of Indonesia ain't 'fucked' because of this, but as the final deaths can be humongeous & whole cities & islands apparently have been wiped out it'll take quite some effort to restore some sort of civilisation in those areas & as a whole I'd say it'll be the biggest single killer for long as AIDS, TB etc. don't even begin to compare?

I have just read a report on the US army bringing food and other things with helicopters to remote areas. This is a story the Americans can be really proud of. In contrary Germany army still has only a few personnel in SE-Asia to "evaluate" the situation...

It seems that only the US army is currently capable to go to areas which are not reachable by cars since they have the proper equipment in the area already. :up:

Archived