Hotels face a long road to full recovery

elef

Hotels face a long road to full recovery

Published on December 31, 2004

The physical impact of the tsunami on most hotel properties in Phuket and Krabi has been minimal but despite that, it looks like it is going to take a long time for business operators to get back to pre-disaster levels.

Though about 70 per cent of the properties are intact, some hotels have experienced reservation cancellations for holidays planned next year.

Meethee Tunmanaktrakul, a member of the Thai Hotel Association, said operators were facing a tough time running their businesses and keeping guest numbers up at their hotels. Some foreign tourists with reservations in six to 12 months? time have cancelled.

?At least 30 per cent of expected tourists have cancelled,? said Meethee.

He also said related industries ? including dive operators, car rental agencies, restaurants and other services ? had been affected by the tsunami.

He said with most foreign tourists pulling out, all of the hotels, resorts and related industries would suffer more than Bt10 billion-worth of damage to trade in coming months.

Pattanapong Eakvanich, president of the Phuket Tourist Association, said the island was in need of emergency help, particularly financial support from creditors or a monetary fund.

?Even if we can complete rebuilding the properties, we can?t see any potential for incoming tourists,? said Pattanapong.

The government in fact yesterday announced a Bt30-billion soft-loan package for local businesses hit by the catastrophe.

However, hoteliers do believe tourism will pick up from March next year.

But he said to help that come to fruition, a series of tourism promotions with special prices would have to be offered and that would require help from the government.

There are many hotels, such as the Patong Resort in Phuket, which intend to close their doors.

The Patong Resort had been planning to renovate in the next 12 months and the Meridien Phuket has closed its doors. The Meriden will close in the short term. The hotel has moved all guests to other nearby Meridien properties.

The Thai tourism industry, the country?s top earner of foreign exchange, has been shattered by the tsunami waves that killed more than 1,500 tourists.

Many cancellations have come in the past few days.

The tourism industry is likely to suffer for a month or so, but will get back on track soon thereafter, as the government will make a great effort to market the country, said Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan.

?Thailand, which attracted more than 11.8 million visitors this year, had hoped to host at least 12 to 14 million tourists next year, but the disaster is likely to have an impact on the industry,? said Juthamas.

According to the Bank of Thailand, tourism revenue is expected to drop by Bt76 billion in the wake of the tsunami.

Suchat Sritama

The Nation

PHUKET

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the world still does not how bad things really are. Even those that live here, really do not know. When the final tallies are presented to the people, I feel many will stay away for awhile.

Look at Balli, only now are people really starting to return.

<<<Look at Balli, only now are people really starting to return.<<<

That is a completely different story. It encompasses an ongoing continual threat, where as a similar tsunami hitting in the same place in the near future, has about as much a chance, as lightning striking twice in the same place twice.

I think most people can discern between those two obvious differences. I still say tourisim will return quickly to Thailand.

HT

Yes....but how many will not golf on the same course again?

There is some poor guy who works for the Yellowstone National park, who has been struck 9 times. He's a freaking lighting rod :: But I think most people understand that this was a freak event, and not be spooked. Will you never go to Phuket again, because they had a tsunami hit there once?

HT

Hi HT,

maybe the next tsunami will come after 100 years, maybe tomorrow - so I will not go to Phuket or Khao Lak until a warning system is working.

Many shop owners in Khao Lak seriously doubt if that city will be rebuilt at all.

elef

Hi elef,

>>>>maybe the next tsunami will come after 100 years, maybe tomorrow - so I will not go to Phuket or Khao Lak until a warning system is working.<<<

Are you serious? Do you really think that will save you?

HT

HT,

if my days are out it doesn't matter if I sit at home or go any place, but I'm not at least stupid enough to take such a risk. :)

After surviving a terrorist bomb (in Oslo, Norway) more than 20 years ago I'm careful. ::

Its a ways off, but I am still planning to go to Phuket in February, 2006 for a month. If a tital wave that happens once every 1-400 years is my only concern (a large concern, with the death toll that accompanied it), I'll go regardless if an advanced, to of the line, warning system is installed by then. However, if the seperatist movement in the south spreads to Phuket, its unlikely that I would go.

Archived