Hotels face a long road to full recovery

elef

elef,...elef,... elef...

What risk? Another tsunami hitting Phuket? Do you really think that can happen? Are you really worried about that?

It's probably the safest place on earth. The pressure has been relieved there.

But tell me what you are thinking. Geeze....if your worried about the place, maybe I'm underestimating things. ::

HT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT,

that area where the big earth quake took place is still active with more earth quakes, so a new big earth quake may happen and a new tsunami will once again appear.

If you study the map of the Hawaii islands you can see the tremendous forces involved.

I'm not afraid so if it's necessary I'll go there but will in that case take the same precautions as BB recommended.

elef

Sorry, but I simply don't get you guys & your risk assessments?

I feel someone should get a personal total risk assessment done on a day to day basis to put this into perspective.

Don't forget people die every day from traffic accidents & stuff.

Also don't put more faith in a tidal wave warning system than you put on the pedestrian crossing flashing yellow lights or red/green lights on that matter!

Why don't we all just stay in bed with the covers over out head! I'm going to Patong , as planned, and will probably sit and eat breakfast in the Thara Patong resutrants at about the time of the Tusnami.

would have been there myself..but I been spending all my loot, on a real crazy american girl, this christmas..I will go back..but only after they find most of the bodeys..wouldnt like the idea of diveing or jetsking by one..and 20 year old american girls suck..but I am still Here, go figure..girl has took me for about 10,000 and no sex...just nice kisses... so sad all around ...I really did cancel a xmas trip to phi phi island, I love the movie the beach, and I wanted to breath some clean air..but I dieceded to stay here, with my so called gf who spent 2 hours with me on xmas, 2 more on new years..I think if someone builds hotels high up, on the high ground they will get my business.. ::

Hi ib13.

>>>>>Also don't put more faith in a tidal wave warning system than you put on the pedestrian crossing flashing yellow lights or red/green lights for that matter!<<<<

That sums up very nicely, what I've been trying to say. :worship: And extending that analogy, it can possibly cause more problems than if it wasn't there at all, just like a mechanically controlled intersection.

It can lead to a false sense of security, that everything is ok, and you are safe. An early warning system is just a tool, to be used in conjunction with a host of other data. It's not an all-encompassing solution. It just tells us a quake has occurred. It does not tell us of an impending tsunami. We then have to take that fact, and read a whole bunch of other stuff into it, and come up with a probability factor. I said before....look at Thailand?s total western coast. MANY area's were not affected at all, while others got decimated. How do you explain that? You can't. How do you expect someone else to? They can't either. Our science is just not that good yet, in this area.

HT

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi elef,

>>>>maybe the next tsunami will come after 100 years, maybe tomorrow - so I will not go to Phuket or Khao Lak until a warning system is working.<<<

Are you serious? Do you really think that will save you?

HT

I live intentionnally 400m upwards from the beach.

Since I spend 30 min a day around the beach I am not at risk 23.5 hours/24. It's mathematic.

I could get killed on my motorbike, but consider buying a car, much more safe that is...

HT said

Yes....but how many will not golf on the same course again?

There is some poor guy who works for the Yellowstone National park, who has been struck 9 times. He's a freaking lighting rod But I think most people understand that this was a freak event, and not be spooked. Will you never go to Phuket again, because they had a tsunami hit there once?

My remark about lightning was meant to be humorous.

You seem to be caught up in a posting frenzy the last few days so i think you missed it.

I decided after my last trip to Phuket in August 03 not to go again because it was not good value compared to other places in Thailand so the tsunami is not a factor.

Archived