tsunami infotainment?

thai3

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't seem to be working in Saudi does it as reported in another thread = $10.000.000 donation.I hardly think that the increased amounts donated by nations are the results of seeing tourist videos of waves coming in for the 50th time. I think there's a pretty thin line between revelevant responsible reporting that gets people responding with donations and goulish voyourism-peter

thai3 said:

Don't seem to be working in Saudi does it as reported in another thread = $10.000.000 donation.I hardly think that the increased amounts donated by nations are the results of seeing tourist videos of waves coming in for the 50th time. I think there's a pretty thin line between revelevant responsible reporting that gets people responding with donations and goulish voyourism-peter

Well lets see, how did the people of the UK that have contributed so much learn about the suffering that is compelling them to donate money. And you are holding up the example of Saudi Arabia as an example of why news isn't having an impact when so many other countries are contributing?

no matter how much news there'll be on this I think few outside the affected areas will ever grasp how badly it really is.

surely detailed & in deepth reports are far & few between on TV.

also it continues to be worse as now there's new flooding in sri lanka new affected areas found by the hour etc.

can't agree more with the weather & biz reports - jeez what waste of air time!!!

I think that TV has even reached Saudi these days and I'm sure they have been covering it all on thier news. I'm sure your wish to carry on seeing people suffering from the comfort of your own home will continue to be granted. I will not be watching on the TV any more as I find the radio coverage far more responsible and informative-peter

thai3 said:

I am not saying it should not be kept in the news but am suggesting that the coverage, in the UK at least, is verging into something more than news. It's now a week after the event and still they play footage of water rushing into hotel complexes and people running for their lives and hanging onto trees and parts of buildings, fate unknown. I would not be surprised if we had a programme titled tsunami 100 facts you never knew. Another thing I find a bit pointles is the constant mentioning, or guesstimates, of the casualty numbers while saying that the total numbers will never be known.Also, why constantly report the numbers, that have died from each country with an out of proportion amount of time devoted to the few casutalties from here(UK). Coverage is one thing, saturation bodycounting with enless showing of home movies of the sea rushing in is another. After a week of this I'm sure viewers are likely to become emotionally worn out.-peter

Lets get this into perspective. This is probably one of the worse natural disasters since records begun. What do we really expect the news channels to do ? broadcast for 3 days and then say "Ok chaps, thats enough".... nearly 150,000, yes ONE HUNDRED and FIFTY THOUSAND people dead and many more are missing, thats not forgetting the amount who will die from seconadry causes (typhoid, diaarhea etc)

I for one, certainly think this should be highlited for weeks to come, if not only to ram home just how bad it is out there.

Also, I wonder what peoples reactions would be if this had been in the US or UK.

jxxxl said:

I hope the news media continues to show the absolute misery people are going through. It's the only way the world outside can understand how dire the situation is and keeps people donating. It appears to be working.

Totally agree.

For those us wake up in the morning and complain about going to work or moan about their relationship, just think of the countless millions of lives that have been devasted.....

Thai3

I agree with you

For the first few days I switched from BBC/CNN and the thai news channel ( ITV mainly). I eventually stopped watching ITV since it was way way to goury for me. I realized that the western news channels were not showing the graphic details of it which kind of pissed me off since the west was not getting the "true" coverage of it and aid was not coming in.

eventually it was just info overload and I have not turned on the TV in days. enough is enough. Time to start with stories of survivors

Hi whosyourdaddy,

So do we all just bury our heads up our butts? And pretend nothing happened? How do you think it should be covered? In the west, we think everything is too sugar coated. But in the East, you think everything is too graphic?

What mix makes you comfortable, if any?

For me? I want the truth. If it's graphic, then so be it. I'm just after the reality, where news is concerned. The last thing I need is someone trying to alter that for me, for my own good. ::

HT

Archived