tsunami infotainment?

thai3

You expect the media to quite rightly report and explore the earthquake and tragic aftermath, but when does the reporting stop being news and start to become a sort of goulish entertainment?

Is it really necessary or relevant to still be endlessly showing video of waves crashing into beaches six days after the events? Several film clips show people hanging on for dear life, then we are told we don't know if the person is alive or not, is it right to show it then? On sunday we (UK) have 'tsunami 7 days that shook the world' to look foward to seeing. I'm quite sure journalists are doing their best to come up with new angles to keep up the interest. Perhaps it's time they gave the incident a rest and concentrated on the relief efforts-peter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also they keep changing countries with the film clips

Talking about Thailand and showing SriLanka, Aceh etc.

The news readers just read whats in front of them ,

its the film editors who are getting it wrong all the time.

I will be glad when the coverage is over,

but maybe thats not good for the area,

Out of sight , out of mind

means less donations and help

OC

I will be glad when the coverage is over

After 5 straight days of reading and watching, last night I finally broke down and just started crying. My wife consoled me and then chastised me "Stop watching it and stop reading about it!". I turned off the computer and TV and we went to bed.

Today, I'm watching a college football game instead of CNN.

Ranger

I got somewhat upset with links to photos and videos on this board. I just don't click on them, it's bad enough like this.

We (gf and myself) do watch tv news from time to time and discuss the subject several times a day. Happy we don't have CNN or BBC here though.

We had the same with sept 11, those planes crashing into the towers endlessly, becomes bad taste after having seen it so many times

All the efforts should concentrate on relief aid now and the Sumatra situation is very worrying.

People need to to be aware of the dangers, there is some mass training work to achieve.

I have a french seaman living in a bungalow right on the beach. He told me if he would see the seawater retract 100m or more, then it's time to run for your life. Many people went out to collect fish instead...

I do live 400m from the beach, this was intentional. I do not want to experience a rare tsunami or a more risky hurrycane with my nose on the sea. The Chumpon area got destruction with 500 deaths by hurricane Gay in 1994.

If you tell me the chances for Chumpon to be hit a second time are nihil I can tell you the november Muifa storm was on route to Chumpon but did not make it. Still caused a lot of floodings in the area though.

The satellite news channels like CNN, Sky, BBC etc thrive on these events as most of the time they have limited news to report.

They are 24hour news channels when really there isn't enough news to report 24 hours a day so a tragedy like this gives them an opportunity to justify their existence.

It is fine to be aware of what is going on.

There does come a point when it is time to get on with things rather than become morbidly fixated on events which for most of us outside of the affected areas have little or no real effect on our lives.

I am not saying it should not be kept in the news but am suggesting that the coverage, in the UK at least, is verging into something more than news. It's now a week after the event and still they play footage of water rushing into hotel complexes and people running for their lives and hanging onto trees and parts of buildings, fate unknown. I would not be surprised if we had a programme titled tsunami 100 facts you never knew. Another thing I find a bit pointles is the constant mentioning, or guesstimates, of the casualty numbers while saying that the total numbers will never be known.Also, why constantly report the numbers, that have died from each country with an out of proportion amount of time devoted to the few casutalties from here(UK). Coverage is one thing, saturation bodycounting with enless showing of home movies of the sea rushing in is another. After a week of this I'm sure viewers are likely to become emotionally worn out.-peter

Hmm, the footage of the impact hasn't gotten old to me. I've never seen a tsunami before so each time they roll footage I try to look for things I missed on repeats. Nothing beats seeing it in full color motion versus a lot of the babbling about it.

On the other hand, it confuses me cnn/bbc show weather forecasts multiple times every hour. I could care less if it is raining in "major travel destinations". Thus, real news stories we never see because they are pushed out to make room for the weather. Biz checkins are equally bad too. Anyone this day and age with cable tv who cares about the weather or business surely has more pertinent and timely information available by internet. Typical weather and business patterns just aren't news to me and I turn it off. Most people must love the stuff though as it seems to just get more and more air time.

Hi

I would like to see some indepth interviews with Thai people/community leaders etc.

To let us all know what is happening "in real life"" how they feel and what is being done to help the people .

All very well to hear a reporter tell us aid is here and bla bla ...then they change to another country.

I don't feel that the relentless coverage on some of the networks/CNN/BBC is harmful or hurtful.

Indeed, with the attention span of the average person these days, we'd probably be getting force fed J-Lo's latest love affair or some other piece of inane drivel.

The more I see, the more it is burned in to me the extent to which this is such a multinational catastrophe. The other disasters that have been mentioned in some of the other threads have mostly been confined to a single nation.

One would hope that the broad reaching tentacles of this disaster might help to demonstrate to some the commonality of the human experience, rather than the silly differences that have us killing each other.

Archived