tsunami infotainment?

thai3

"I'm sure your wish to carry on seeing people suffering from the comfort of your own home will continue to be granted."

So now you are taking cheap shots at those of us who want to see coverage on TV? When is your flight to Aceh so you can witness this while not "in the comfort of your own home".

And what do you think the people of the affected areas would want? How would you like to tell a bunch of starving people in Aceh that CNN will not televise any more images becuase sensitive people like you don't want it on TV any longer.

One can look at this coverage as an infomercial for the affected people and they deserve the air time. Sure it could be more tastefully done, but since when has the news been tasteful.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was watching a discussion of media coverage of the event on CNN and they quoted a UN rep who said that things were going fairly well now, but he was seriously concerned about what would happen to the survivors once this news story was off the front page.

Will people just forget about them, and leave them alone in thier suffering???

I agree, it is a little overwhelming, and fairly impossible to get away from if you want to see the news, but it may be a necessary evil to keep the aid coming to the people who will be needing it for quite some time.

>>>but it may be a necessary evil to keep the aid coming to the people who will be needing it for quite some time<<<

Nobody will contribute to a situation they do not know about.

HT

I think that there is almost certainly a direct correlation between the amount of repetitive direct tv coverage of the initial harrowing scenes of the tsunami arriving, and the level of private individual donations to the aid funds.

Here in the UK the response of the public has not only been enormous and generous, but has also had a direct impact on the level of government aid, which has been increased significantly since the initial response. This public response continues and is likely to assist in providing a fund that can be utilised to rebuild as well as to offer immediate support. People have been very genuinely moved and saddened as well as overawed by the tragedy.

If the price of this response is the admittedly slightly ghoulish repetition of those initial scenes, then I believe it is a price well worth paying. general feelings of humanity and shared common bonds of being human beings are rare and should be both treasured and supported.

Why not go all the way then and show more bodies and kids crying their eyes out, kids in hospital wards, wailing mothers etc if all we are bothered about is getting more and more money donated? It will be interesting to see in the months ahead if the media is as keen on reporting how all the money has been spent-peter

No - I think the current level of coverage is pitched about right.

The UK terrestrial tv channels are back on normal schedule, and have been for a few days,although the regular news programmes still centre on the tsunami impacts.

The cable/satellite 24-hour news channels are still concentrating 90+% on the earthquake and it's after effects, but their news is always cyclical and repetitive, and most people don't seem to tune in for more than about an hour at a time. The bottom screen ticker tape type updates on Sky for example which constantly relay messages from people who are safe seems to provide a valuable service for relatives and friends back home.

I agree that the coverage of the rebuilding in the future will get much less exposure, and that's why it would seem to me that the money needs to be raised now. I may not always have agreed with a Bob Geldof approach to problems but I don't deny that he's effective.

i saw many amatweur films. and i am shure, instead that the people on the beaches not stand there and wondering about what has happens with the water,

if they running away quckly and not show about the natural strange thing, there

wuld be much less death.

Same a week ago, there was a car accident on the Higway to Surat Thani. The people stops thir car, run to the scene and look what happens. Also from the other streets, the people stops their vehicles run and cross the higwhay to see the accident. what i can say more...?

I fully agree that reporting about this tsunami disaster is more beneficial to those who need help from different countries with resources to do some good.

Its been a while since there has been any coverage in depth with whats happening in other parts of the world here on US news channels. Maybe they are following the lead of the BBC, who do a very good job consistently IMO.

I'm amazed that the lightweight jerk-off news organizations here in the US have some ability to actually cover overseas news other than the current fucking murder trial, or Michael Jacksons current legal problems.

Archived