Any news about boardmembers killed or injured?

Encore

I've been wondering, with the number of people on this board, it would be highly likely that some of us were caught by this disaster.

Any idea who was down South that time?

Below story from a NZ paper, the guy may well have been a memeber (at least up to 18 months ago)

by Stuart Dye, Rebecca Walsh and Derek Cheng

Craig Baxter, the second New Zealander confirmed killed in the Boxing Day tsunami, died "a hero, an absolute hero", says his mother, Sandra Sweeney.

Mr Baxter and his wife were spending Christmas at a beachfront bungalow on Phi Phi island in Thailand when the tsunami struck.

Paul Morton, a close friend, said when the waves came Mr Baxter sprinted from the sand towards his bungalow calling to his 28-year-old wife, Maliwan.

"He was screaming for her to get to safety, but he did not make it. The water just took him," said Mr Morton.

Ms Sweeney told the Herald last night that Mrs Baxter had told her "Craig had come flying up from the beach and lifted her on to the roof for safety because she couldn't swim, but then he was taken by the swell.

"She is devastated, saying that Craig would be alive if he had not stopped to save her."

Mrs Baxter survived with cuts and bruises and the unborn child was unhurt. When Mr Baxter last spoke to his mother a few weeks ago, he had just seen the first scans of his unborn child.

Ms Sweeney, who lives on the Gold Coast in Australia, said her only son had a huge heart and she was not surprised to learn he had died saving his wife.

"He really loved that girl. They were made for each other. Out of the tragedy of the whole thing it is good to know there are some courageous stories out there."

Mr Baxter was born in Auckland but spent most of his life in Australia before moving to Thailand 18 months ago.

He had previously been there on holiday where he met Maliwan. The couple married last March in her home town of Bun Phu near the Thai-Laos border and Mr Baxter began working for a finance company in Bangkok.

Speaking from Pattaya, Thailand, last night, Mr Morton, who had known Mr Baxter two years, said: "He was the type of guy that if you were his mate, you were his blood.

"If you needed help in any way he was there. He would look after anyone in his life."

Mr Baxter's body has been taken to Pattaya and a Buddhist funeral service will be held for him on Wednesday. Ms Sweeney said a memorial ceremony would be held on the Gold Coast on January 21.

Would be surprising if none of the members were affected, however even if they were, I wonder if we would ever know. We'd only know that they never posted anymore and some guys post infrequently.

I was thinking the same about BGs I've known for awhile. Many of us know "regulars" and some of them do go to Phuket, either on their own or with a punter for a few days. I know 2 Patpong girls who were just in Phuket in OCT, they went on their own. Am guessing most BGs would have been working around Xmas time it being the busy time and Xmas not really meaning anything to them - whereas those Patpong girls took off in OCT because that is a slow time. I have received emails from some BGs I know just checking to ensure I wasn't in Phuket.

However getting back to the original question, unless another member was with them if we lost one or more of our own I wonder how we'd know.

I think there was a thread awhile back that went along these lines but I can't remember:dunno:.Not about boardies killed in the tsunami but deceased wether through natural causes,accident etc.

In my case I know a few members "in the flesh"and I'm sure my demise would be posted on here but what about some other prominent posters who either remain anonymous or live in the backwaters?They'd just stop posting and that would be the end of it I suppose.

Lusty said:

I think there was a thread awhile back that went along these lines but I can't remember:dunno:.Not about boardies killed in the tsunami but deceased wether through natural causes,accident etc.

In my case I know a few members "in the flesh"and I'm sure my demise would be posted on here but what about some other prominent posters who either remain anonymous or live in the backwaters?They'd just stop posting and that would be the end of it I suppose.

I seem to recall such a thread also but as I get older seem to be coming down with CRS (Can't Remember Shit).

I know or have met a handful of board members as well however that is all in LOS when we happen to be in country at the same time and infrequent contact in between - don't have any friends or coworkers for example that know my board identity and I'd guess this is true for most.

It is sad thinking we might not know what became of such and such, for example I was pleased to hear Scum Baggio still exists, just that he doesn't post anymore.

Guess KS would have to set up some sort of "Dead Man's Click" - where if we didn't click and enter our PIN number by certain intervals it would mean we had reached an apparent negative status, as it were...

Archived