Any views on this

Alfmaz

Please move this if I have posted in the wrong place it is between a few Threads.

On my next trip I am planning to go to the Tiger Temple where the monks look after the tigers and I want to stay a few days there, it is in the Kanchanaburi Province. Now my question is, is it a tourist traps or it is worth the trip, is there things to do there is there any night life.

Can any one give me advice on which bus station I need to go to, to get there south, east west or north and any good accommodation around there?

:: ::

"Very inhospitable country???" Are you taking the piss?!?

The temple is in the Sai Yok area, also home to some very nice waterfalls and a popular area for Thais and farang alike. Plenty of accommodation around, at various levels - depends what you mean by 'good'. You could drive there in under 3 hours, comfortably, it's less than an hour outside of the main town of Kanchanaburi. You could also take the train from Bangkok - Nam Tok station is the end of the line, right next to Sai Yok Noi waterfall.

Kanchanaburi province is a lovely area, but you'd be better off with your own transport to get the best from it. The town is pleasant enough to spend a day or two in, especially if you've any interest in WW2. Certainly some nightlife but not exactly in your face.

I love this province! Agree many things to see and do. Didn't find any problems with inhospitable people...long boat rides up to tghe elephant camp, waterfalls, history, this place is a must! I think 3-4 hours from the souther(?) bus station The one on the other side of the river(?) near Yuk Yor restaurant...same place you go to take the bus to Hua Hin...Pretty sure anyway, to tired to think...

you are right. TB must confuse with Sangklaburi. It takes 4 hours to Kan from BKK, and only because the train stops 50 minutes in Nakhom Pathom (enough time to visit the great Chedi).

the temple is not a tourist trap, and deserves a visit. A couple years ago, some of these poor animals were found poisonned, and happening at the time the "official" Kan zoo nearby were pissed at the competition given by the monks to their zoo. The monks were in no doubt as to who poisonned the tigers.

the only tourist trap in Kan could be the bridge, but only on account of the 100s of people straddling the bridge any given day. Still, this is Thailand, it can't never be that bad!

Probably more guys hanging around lower Suk than people visiting the bridge memorial. Tourist trap? :)

PS: mods, Arts and culture, this thread.

We were over there last month but in a large group of friends and kids so rented a couple of houses in a nice quiet resort. Just up the road was a very impressive looking hotel - I will try and find the name - with a golf course, beautiful gardens, swimming pool, hot spring baths, health club etc and that was going for B800! It was full over the long weekend but we were able to wander in and use their facilities without anyone seeming to care if we were guests or not. It was probably another 45 minutes up the road than you will want to be though.

Just around the corner was an open air natural hot spring pool place which seemed to be the social epicentre of the district as the place was full of locals relaxing and chatting. Good value at 5 baht and impressive to see Thakson's anti-corruption policy bearing fruit with 2 guys sharing a table at the entrance, one issuing tickets, the other taking them off you without you having to move!

Archived