Australia puts up $810m! Germany $674m!

Neo

Hi KAmui,

Add to that that the funds promised by governments don`t necessarily end up actually beeing transferred.

Watched a documentary the other day concerning the earth quake in Iran and some statistics showing that "money promised is not necessarily money delivered".

Hope it will be different on this occasion.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

cardinalblue said:

I have also the same feeling this is not the wisest way to spend the money; granted that the money would not come otherwise if not for something sensational and shocking.

This really plays on human emotional feelings.

But this 4 billion of so is going towards only a limited and small number of countires. Is it really good return on your investment? Now there will be people say not to look at it as a business investment but only humanitarian funds. But there is not a choice?

Cardinalblue

I agree. It seems to be Indonesia and Sri Lanka who will be the countries who will receive most of the aid. India won't have it and Thailand have sent out similar signals though not as firm. Both Indonesia and Sri Lanka fall into the category of "medium human development" according to the UNDP human development statistics. Although this disaster is too huge to expect them to cope themself, they should be able to contribute themself and not leave it to the international community alone.

Both Sri Lanka and Indonesia have military conflicts within their borders and in affected areas. At least the donors should get some reassurence that parties involved in conflicts in these countries will do an honest effort to build peace before money for the rebuilding is given. If not, it can be a case of building up to later get it wrecked in conflicts. Of course its a different situation with the immediate disaster relief.

I fear that other countries with a more long term need for aid will be forgotten as the western countries compete to spend on this disaster.

Tony Blair today has made 100 million pounds available immediately!

I personally think there is enough money donated now. It just needs to actually be handed over and spent wisely.

Wiping out the regions debts would be more helpful, Indonesia was spending a fortune on mere debt interest every year.

Everywhere I go here in the UK there are collection boxes, from pubs to corner shops to banks. The man on the street is giving which is very heartening.

STH

Wiping out the regions debts would be more helpful, Indonesia was spending a fortune on mere debt interest every year.

Hi STH,

The concern expressed by those countries publicly opposed to debt relief over grants is that the money saved wont necessarily go into rebuilding the areas devastated by the tsunami. Pre-tsunami, its difficult to imagine either Indonesia or Sri Lanka wanting to pump money into remote fishing villages, particularly in areas where they were trying to quell armed rebellion.

spirit_of_town_hall said:

If the debt was gotten by mismanagement, then does it really solve the problem? Won't countries that mismanage always do so and we'll have the same debt level in the future?

Archived