Australia puts up $810m! Germany $674m!

Neo

I don't know if this figure is right, but yesterday I heard in German radio that private donations (individuals and companies) in Germany reached 150 million Euro (ca. 195 mio. US$).

For me it is a little bit strange to see this contest of governments who donates most. Almost probably there is not much money left if another catastrophe (natural or man made) hits in 2005 in another part of the world - Germany even doesn't have the money yet it pledges to spend in the next 3-5 years in SE Asia.

It's not that I am against the donations especially for poor countries like Indonesia, but how about Africa for example with many regions devastated by war, corruption and drought? Maybe it is that the Tsunami catastrophe reaches hearts and minds much easier, because of the broad coverage by international media (from luxury hotels in Thailand during the first week ::) and of course because so many rich countries are involved.

My cynic guess is, if the disaster had hit the countries except Thailand with it's many foreign tourists the international situation would be quite difficult.

Neo,

We have to be very careful in the race to see who has donated the 'most' : the US, for example, has committed some very expensive military resources to help out in areas like Aceh, but that doesnt seem to have been factored into their total.

The other factor is political. I dont know that Germany has a great deal to gain politically in the region, but the 'coalition of the willing' is very keen to impress upon the people of Indonesia their willingness to help. 3 months ago, who would have envisioned American and Australian troops being welcomed into Aceh ?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm a repetitive sod. At the risk of upsetting the mods, I must again ask : how much aid has been provided by the Arab countries ?

Saudis Triple Pledge to 30 million US

I have also the same feeling this is not the wisest way to spend the money; granted that the money would not come otherwise if not for something sensational and shocking.

This really plays on human emotional feelings.

But this 4 billion of so is going towards only a limited and small number of countires. Is it really good return on your investment? Now there will be people say not to look at it as a business investment but only humanitarian funds. But there is not a choice?

That is fine and dandy. But my way of thinking is much more darwinistic in how i view the world.

Yes, a tremendous tragedy and loss of human life but that is how the world works. It gives and takes in unfain ways every day..

I take the same view on africa and their famines. There is great effort to feed the population at that moment but no funds or strategies beyond that next day. There is nothing sustainable to elevate those populations were they can start taking care of themselves.

It always boils down to, is it better to pay the funding for fishing lessons or just give a whole bunch of fish at once and then wipe your hands clean and say you tried your best..

Or look at it another way. Is it better to give the money into BGs hands or manage that money for them by paying for their education, health care and development needs, etc. It sure seems like BGs and their families always end up in the same boat as to which they started...

It is not how much you give but what you/they do with it.....

Cardinalblue

Archived