accomodation on Ko Chang.

sky brow

Hi,

Has any one got any resent info on accom on Ko Chang.We are looking at something in the 2000bht to 3000bht per day range. Resort style,swimming pool,ocean views,balcony,really nice rooms ,air etc.Location on the island not so important.Im checking out the internet Ive found a few that look good. but I would like some first hand info.The g/f wants a bit of luxury,mmm me too.We will be there march/april.

thanks guys

that's exactly a price range where there are not many in Koh Chang. a couple of Deluxe like Aiyapura and Panviman and a lot of low price hotels in the 500-1500 baht area.

i was around 3 years ago in the Koh Chang Resort, which is in your price area, but was not very pleased. small pool, small bungalows, not very good service. nice beach and very quiet though.

i would really consider location as Hat Sai Khao (white sand beach) is developping fastly in another busy thai beach with many hang outs like discos and girly bars.

Spent the week before Christmas at White Sand Beach and that's not what you'd want, but since you've had little response I'd thought I'd add a reply. Did take a drive down the W. side of the island 'til we ran out of road. I'd think you'd want Klong Prao or south. A number of resort type hotels. These are usually at least a few hundred meters off the road. So, unless you have transportation you may feel a bit like a resort captive. ::

My take is the island is totally overbuilt. Even just before Christmas there were lots of rooms available at various price ranges. The Barali Beach had a family of 4 at the pool and those were the only guests I saw there, with only 2 cars in the car park. The beach photos on most of the hotel net sites are deceptive because they've been taken at low tide. At high tide many of the beaches are extremely narrow. What I'd do is pick a hotel from your short list, simply arrive and negotiate a price for a couple of nights. For example I stayed at Cookies at 1900/night pre-booked - walk-ins paid 1500! Meanwhile have a look at other properties and if you find something better at a realistic price - move! You can rent a car for 1500 baht/24 hrs. Or have a look by renting a motorcycle. There is LOTS of contruction on-going and the paradisical hotel you choose may be adjacent to pile driving, building material being off loaded and trucks going and coming late into the night.

If you don't know, have a look at:

http://iamkohchang.com/

Some would call it cynical---but not me---but what's up with all those real estate adverts???? ::

-redwood

Thanks for the reply and the link.Sounds like a good idea to book 2 days and then start looking around for better accom.We are looking at klong prao.Funny you mention Barali as that is the one we are thinking of trying.I am still trying to find out wether the kaos down south has sent tourists and thais flocking to other islands ie. ko chang.

My Japanese girlfriend and I stayed at the Koh Chang Tropicana last September and found it pleasant. The rooms are very good - individual units on well-manicured grounds. Very decent pool. I?d recommend staying there although it may be out of your desired price range. We went to dinner at the Barali (next door) which was fairly new and very, very nice. But you will pay handsomely to lodge there. Looking at their brochure I am seeing daily rates of 7,900 ? 14,000 baht per night depending on the villa/suite. Good luck.

Thanks for the info.Tropicana is also one place we are considering.I see they have suites for around 4000bht per night,these may suit us.But no idea what these ones are like.Did you stay in the more expensive units.Did you check out the cheaper accom at Tropicana?

Well? we went there in September which is considered off-season. In fact, my gf and I had originally planned to visit Koh Koot (sp?) but were denied crossing due to the monsoons. That said, I think there were less than ten other guests staying at the Koh Chang Tropicana when we were there. I just found my booking email ? we stayed in a ?Sea View? room at a cost of 4,100 thb a night booked through the resort. This unit was closest to the pool and ocean offering a view of both from the porch. I think the rooms further in were equally as nice ? maybe a bit smaller with a bit longer walk to the beach. I agree with Redwood about the ongoing construction once you leave the hotel grounds. Definitely not so pretty. But there?s enough to do on the island or in the resort, so Koh Chang was a good getaway for me. :wave:

Archived