Why I live Here

The other day I developed yet another problem with my computer – namely a jamming of the fan inside that box-shaped thing with the sliding tray that holds CD’s. The problem didn’t affect the actual running of the computer but the fan was making a noise a bit like a jumbo jet as it taxis down the runway. Not wishing to recreate the atmosphere of Gatwick airport in me bedroom I decided that the computer needed looking at.

From my house to the I.T mall at Ramkhamheang (where there are many computer shops) is a journey of about 4 kilometers and not wanting to lug the box-shaped thing too far, I called a taxi to pick me up at my house. The taxi arrived within 10 minutes and the driver upon seeing that I was crumbling under the weight of my ever-troublesome computer, got out of the car to give me a helping hand. Fifteen minutes later, we pulled up outside the I.T mall and the fare was 63 baht plus 20 baht surcharge for the dial-a-taxi service.

I then carried the computer up five flights of escalators to the top floor where the I.T mall is situated. I entered the first computer shop on the left where a fat man was getting stuck into a bowl of chicken and noodles surrounded by broken monitors, bits of wire, and circuit boards. Now bear in mind that this guy had never seen me in his life. I had never been in his shop before. I hadn’t bought my computer from him and here I was disturbing his lunch with a trivial problem he must get a hundred times a week. I explained as best I could that the fan was making a terrible row and he immediately leapt to his feet with a screwdriver and proceeded to take the back off the computer. My pleas with him to finish his lunch fell on deaf ears and within seconds silence was golden as far as the fan was concerned. I asked him how much money he wanted for this minor repair and he just laughed. He didn’t want a penny. I tried hard to force a hundred baht note in his shirt pocket but he was having none of it. Not only had he done the job for free but his chicken and noodles were stone cold.

Back down the five flights of escalators with the computer and into a taxi waiting outside in the mall taxi-rank. Taxi driver opens door for me and I sit gratefully in air-conditioned bliss. The journey back to my house took 10 minutes and the fare was 57 baht.

Now this isn’t the greatest story ever told I know but consider this. The whole procedure of taking a computer from my house to the repairer and back again had taken under 30 minutes and cost me 140 baht. 140 baht….that’s little over 3 dollars. Is it just me but I find that incredible.

In England, you couldn’t have afforded a taxi to ferry you to the repair shop and back in the first place and we all know what would have happened when you plonked the computer on the shop floor. A middle-aged man in grubby overalls would have frowned at you for disturbing his tea break and with a sharp intake of breath come out with something like “Pakis was it?” or “the best I can do is a week on Tuesday”. The cost of the complete transport and repair package wouldn’t even bear thinking about.

Now, when people ask me why I live in Thailand, I’m going to tell them that story because I’ve only just realized it myself.

Hi Bangkok Phil,

Here's a break down of what a similar repair actually cost me here in London.

Drive myself to repair shop in near Kings X.

Parking

Meter £ 2 for 17 minutes.

Walk to shop go in, wait 10 minutes, says it will have to be sent off total cost including courier £112

Incidentally I was very very lucky not to get clamped, I was about 5 minutes late and a traffic warden was just about to write a ticket, clamping release fee £80, or 1 weeks accommodation in Pattaya!!

Just 18 more months till retirement hopefully, if I can find a tennant for my house!!

Well you get the best of something at each place. In Chennai I make a phone call to the hardware guy and he sends a chap to do any work at my doorstep while i laze away watching TV and swigging a beer and he charges Rs.100/- -just about $2.10.

The only problem is we dont get the gals that you have in Thailand-

LOL

Bangkok Phil,

Agree, great for the cost and time side of things but what that guy did occurs in every country(of course not all the time)....

You should let us know the computer shop as some of us may want to use him in the future given the service he provided you...

Sanukboot.

The number of times I have taken my phone into Mahboonkrong for repair and had the same treatment. I really couldn't go and live back in the West. Back home it would be leave the phone here, we'll send it off for you, you should have it back in about 1 week 20pounds to look at it and then parts on top.

I injured my foot in Cambodia and waited until I got back to BKK to have it looked at. I had a pretty nasty blood clot. First visit including minor surgery and several different prescriptions came to a whopping 640B! Subsuquent daily visits I would arrive by taxi and be taken by wheelchair to the ER where a nurse would clean and redress my wound. Then I would be wheeled out to the cashier where I had to pay the ungodly amount of 80B! What could you get for 80B at a hospital in the states? Not even an aspirin!

Ranger

Archived