Why I live Here

In Dublin you wouldn't even have been able to get a taxi and if by some miracle you did the traffic is so bad now that the place would be closed when you got there!!!!!!

Anyway I am off to OZ in 25 days via BKK of course.......

uniformguy smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by uniformguy:

and if by some miracle you did the traffic is so bad now that the place would be closed when you got there!!!!!!

UG

traffic is not the kind of things u stress when U're looking at Bangkok bright sides...

frown.gif" border="0

Ah but Phil, it begs the question why not try to fix the problem yourself? It's not about the money, mind, but you could have fixed it yourself in half the time and, heaven forfend, learned a little something too as you poked around in the computer's guts.

Not a dig at you, but just a little counterpoint. I for one just enjoyed 8 chicken fingers, a big plate of pad say-eu and an iced tea for about US$1.10. Can't beat that with a stick.

It's good to be home.

Yes, the cost is one major factor that keeps me here. What is also striking about your story though is that is demonstates the generocity and kindness of typical Thais, which is another big thing that keeps me here.

Good to hear of experience besides the usual Thais are moneygrubbing,lying cheats who are out to take advantage of farangs.

Your real problem is that you didn't build your own PC and u probably have crappy components. You are lucky because the guy could have charged u an arm and a leg to fix something that would have cost u nothing if u understood your PC. Lugging that box around BKK should make u want to learn the basics of PC's.

I am a PC geek so I would have fixed the computer and proceeded to spend about $100US in various upgrades that have no connection to the problem, just because the problem would have given me a rationalized reason to do so.

Just the other day I decided I needed a new HD. I only need a 30gig. Instead I decided on a 60gig 7200rpm IBM desktar which of course has lead me to buy a new 266-A motherboard, Atholon XP processor, 512mb DDR memory, Lian-Li Aluminum case, enermax 350w psu, heatsink, and optical mouse. The problem with building and fixing your own PC is that you spend inordinate amounts of time tinkering with it.

PC's and prostitutes my only vices!

bohicasia wrote:

quote:

Not a dig at you, but just a little counterpoint. I for one just enjoyed 8 chicken fingers, a big plate of pad say-eu and an iced tea for about US$1.10. Can't beat that with a stick.

bohicasia, did you cook the food yourself? :-)

I was in PHN recently and my driver lost a clutch as we were driving. He told me to go get a cup of coffee while he takes care of the problem. So I'm sitting in an airconditioned comfort of a Burger King wannabe, sipping on my coffee and watching what happens.

The driver disappears. Five minutes later he comes back with a guy with a shoulder bag. He opens the hood and does his magic while about 30 ubiquitous bystanders lazily watch.

Ten minutes later the hood is shut and the driver borrows a $7 advance on his fee to pay for the service.

I thought about telling him that in the real world they would tow his car ($40), keep it in a shop for 2-3 days, replace the clutch, and charge him $300. But then I figured he wouldn't believe me anyway...

Archived