consequences of 1 day overstay

samak

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Your post throughout the last years indicate that that you have quite alot of knowedge on Thailand so my guess is that you know what I was saying. I don't think that a Nigerian inmate would be given champagne and beluga caviar for breakfast which I'm convinced that I would get if I ended up in the mokey house. :D

I learned the value of a Swedish passport my first trip to Asia in 1982. When I came to S'pore I stod in line behind a couple of Pakistanian blokes. They were very well dressed and showed the immigration officer big wads 100$ bills. After a long discussion they were given a visa good for 4 days. This did worry me as I was looking more like a scruffy backpacker apart from the hair which I haven't grown long since I was in the army. I also had no return ticket and was preparing a speach in my defence when it was my turn. When I told the officer that I was planning to stay for 5 days and then taking the bus to KL he just said S'pore is a nice place why don't you stay longer and gave me a 30 day visa.

I think the same applies to other small European countries who have never been colonial powers and don't send their soldiers around the world to invade any country of their choice.

I also found out that most Asian immigration offers couldn't distinguis between Sweden and Switzerland if their life depended on it.

Btw the main difference is that in Switzerland they jodle in the mountains while in Sweden we only jodle in the canyon. :neener:

regards

ALHOLK

for a 6am flight you get certainly stamped the date of the new day and have one day overstay.

they are very inconsequent and unpredictable about which day they stamp for arrival and departure before and after midnight.

had outgoing flights between 1 - 2 am and arrived before midnights and sometimes i got stamps of the old day and sometimes of the new day. same with arrival flights. plane landed 10 minutes before midnight, docked at the gate after midnight and i arrived at immigration after midnight. despite that stamp of the old day; on my intervention the supervisor came and said that the plane's landing time is relevant.

but it actually depends on the officer....

• 5 weeks later...

I had that shit last but one time I went out of Bangkok. I checked in and went through customs before midnight but they collered me and said that I was one day over. I said that I couldn't be as it was not midnight and technically, I had left Thailand having gone through immigration but they still put some stamp on my passport. This last time I was 2 days before.

yep, there is no exact rule, what time around midnight counts for arrival or departure day. some officers say walking though immigration, some say scheduled take off/touch down, some say real time of touch down.

it is like many laws in thailand; very vague and leaves a lot of room for the officer to interprete and take decision!

Archived