Western Union

Belem

Don't know if this has already been posted, but Western Union is running a special to select countries in Asia due to the Tsunami and is only charging $7 from the US. I'm sure there are specials from other countries as well. A friend of mine sent $800 US to a friend of his in Thailand and was only charged $7 to wire the money. Just an FYI.

Yep, the exhange rate is not very good, but you're weighing that with waiting 5-7 days for an interbank transfer to go through. For comparisons sake, my friend witnessed another guy send $1,000 US within the US and had to pay $79 US to send it. Again, just an FYI for people considering wiring money through Western Union.

a question about Western Union

If you send $300 , can the person in Thailand get $300 in cash ?

Or do they have to get it in Thai Baht with the bad exchange rate ?

If they could get the $300 in US$ cash they could take it to the exchange office themselves.

Just wondering :)

For those that are interested the Halifax bank ( building socoiety is not charging for transfers to Thai bank accounts if you say it is to help a wave victim. I sent 100 pounds today to a Thai girl that I know and they asked if it was to help... I said no thinking that they ment a communal fund. When I asked why they said they were waivering the 14 pound usual fee. I could have kicked myself.

STH

Belem said:

Yep, the exhange rate is not very good, but you're weighing that with waiting 5-7 days for an interbank transfer to go through.

My SWIFT transfers go from my US bank to my Bangkok Bank account in 1 day (which is actually 2 days due to time difference).

TH

ThaiHome said:

My SWIFT transfers go from my US bank to my Bangkok Bank account in 1 day (which is actually 2 days due to time difference).

TH

Why wouldn't you use an ATM card to withdraw the funds and then deposit them here? Convenience? Large amounts?

I use ATM only and find it to be easy, quick, convenient and good exchange rate. Just curious.

Archived