Western Union

Belem

CondomKing said:

Why wouldn't you use an ATM card to withdraw the funds and then deposit them here? Convenience? Large amounts?

I use ATM only and find it to be easy, quick, convenient and good exchange rate. Just curious.

I have been pretty much living off ATM withdrawls from US bank for going on 6 years in 4 countries now. Only use wire transfers for large amounts or if I need to put money into Thailand bank account when we are living in another country.

Won't be using ATM so much now, since my US bank (BofA) has raised the fee from $2.00 to $5.00 for foreign ATM use.

TH

• 2 weeks later...
CondomKing said:

Why wouldn't you use an ATM card to withdraw the funds and then deposit them here? Convenience? Large amounts?

I use ATM only and find it to be easy, quick, convenient and good exchange rate. Just curious.

Yeah, I don't get why anybody uses Western Union, or 'wire' transfers, etc.. If you send money abroad on a regular basis to somebody from your home country just:

1) open an account in your home country.

2) get a VISA debit card on the account that can be

used in ATM machines for cash advances.

3) send the card to your recipient.

4) deposit money in the account to "send" it.

The recipient recieves the money instantly, you get the best interbank exchange rates available, and cash advance fees are usually low ($1 on my account).

ThaiHome said:
CondomKing said:

I have been pretty much living off ATM withdrawls from US bank for going on 6 years in 4 countries now. Only use wire transfers for large amounts or if I need to put money into Thailand bank account when we are living in another country.

Won't be using ATM so much now, since my US bank (BofA) has raised the fee from $2.00 to $5.00 for foreign ATM use.

TH

TH,

Same here for around five years. Almost exclusively use the ATM for money. Now using Western Union though to send money over while I am gone due to an ATM crewup that I thought I had solved. Turns out the new ATM card I gave the wife will not work, as it has six numner PIN instead of a four number. We tried everywhere, every ATM and bank ATM, none worked with this card, and it's a Fleet Bank/now Bank of America account.

So now using Western Union the past two months. I hate it because they do have high rates, but it does work fine, there have never been any problems, but their exchange rate SUCKS. It does tellyou exactly what the recieving party will recieve as an exchange rate to your dollars sent, and it is best to give them this information ALONG with the transaction ID number as well, and the amount sent in dollars as well, so there can be no monkey business. What does suck is the WU offices in Surin are all in Banks, and they are closed over the weekends. Less options, higher fees and a shitty exchange rate. I will have a new four number PIN ATM card on my return for her use.

Cent

Shygye,

Said it could not be done as this is their new system to combat ATM fraud/crime. What he did say is to try just using the first four numbers and not the last two and see if it works. I'll try this once I am over in a couple weeks. I'm also getting another card at a different bank that I know has the four number pin system and that I know has worked for me before over in Thailand. Only pain is that that bank is a fifteen minute drive from my US home to deposit funds, whereas the Fleet/BankAmerica one is just down the street.

Cent

Archived