writing in red

Zaad

Hi,

Something happened the other day and to keep a short story very short :) what basically happened was that a Thai colleague needed a pen, so I grabbed the nearest in sight.

It happened to be a red one (red ink) as he wrote down the first words. He stopped and told me it was red ..Well, yeah I responded, so...? He then carried on visibly uncomfortable and I asked if everything was ok, but no response there.

Anyway, later I asked somebody else about it and he told me it's a belief that Thais prefer not to write in red.

Ok, to each his own I say, but why the heck don't they 'stand up' for what they believe in?

What I'm trying to say is...I find such beliefs crap, BUT respects others who believe in them...but it makes it all looks so damn silly if they ignore it at times :dunno:

Whenever I THINK I know all Thai beliefs I come across one more ::

What I was told by Thais 30 years or so ago was that one should never write someone's NAME in red. (Didn't say anything about writing anything else though.) The reason is that the names of the deceased are written on coffins in temples in red. Thus the superstition is that you are willing them to die.

In recent years, however, I've seen a lot of young Thais writing in red, including their names. But older Thais may still follow the old belief.

p.s. Also, I found out long ago that Bangkok Thais don't know much about traditional Thai superstitions. I asked my uni students upcountry to write about superstitions and got enough that I later wrote about them for the Bangkok Post. I tried the same assignment in Bangkok, and the students hardly knew anything!

Some typical old superstitions:

1. Never whistle at night, or a ghost may come to investigate.

2. Never look in a mirror at night, or you may find a ghost looking back at you!

3. If you accidentally drop your comb off of the balcony while coming your hair at night, do NOT go looking for it until morning.

4. A woman who sings at the supper table will be an old maid.

Archived