Hungry stray dogs raid morgues

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,295227,00.html?

PHANG NGA (Thailand) - At a Buddhist temple used as a morgue and elsewhere in tsunami disaster zones, hungry stray dogs have been feeding on victims' corpses, even managing to get into body bags to do so, relief workers say.

It has become such a problem that a group of Thai veterinarians, armed with tranquilliser guns, has been given the task of capturing the strays. Aid workers in India have used real bullets.

'The dogs are starving and they just eat any meat,' said Dr Kiartisak Rojnirandorn of Thailand's Foundation for Stray Dogs.

More than 60 dogs have been seized, including 40 around the Yan Yao Buddhist temple, which has become a makeshift mortuary in Phang Nga, one of Thailand's worst-hit provinces with more than 4,000 people killed.

Some 2,000 bodies are being kept in the temple while undergoing autopsies and other identification attempts. Most have been kept refrigerated, but some newly found ones sometimes lay on the open ground pending a post-mortem exam.

The vets' goal is to make the area affected by the tsunami a 'stray-dog free zone'. They plan to send the captured dogs to a sanctuary in western Thailand.

Civic workers killed packs of stray dogs that were attacking tsunami survivors, including children, at relief shelters in some of the worst-hit areas of southern India. The dogs' behaviour changed after they ate corpses washed ashore after the tsunami struck, said Ms Shantha Sheela Nair, a relief official in the area.

Dogs also were seen eating a corpse on Indonesia's Malinggei island, where the 500 residents either died or evacuated.

Mr David Reinecker, a US-based animal behaviourist who runs a Los Angeles-based business called Dog Remedy Behavioral Training, warns that eating human flesh could make the dogs more dangerous.

'Once a dog has tasted human or animal blood, he/she will have a preference for it. Working with aggressive dogs on a daily basis, I explain to dog owners the dangers of including raw or cooked meat in the dog's diet,' he said. 'Yes, a dog will become dangerous and even vicious if fed with human/animal flesh.' -- AP

++++++++++

Tragic, but understandable. And I'm sorry, that last bit is just fuckin' assine. Canines eat meat. Thay are carnivores. I hardly think that ANY soi dog in Thailand is a vegetarian. What an idiot. What the fuck does he think in in any brand of dry or wet dog food? I'll give him a hint: It ain't all veggies!

Cheers,

S "dog lover" D

Mr David Reinecker, a US-based animal behaviourist who runs a Los Angeles-based business called Dog Remedy Behavioral Training, warns that eating human flesh could make the dogs more dangerous.

'Once a dog has tasted human or animal blood, he/she will have a preference for it. Working with aggressive dogs on a daily basis, I explain to dog owners the dangers of including raw or cooked meat in the dog's diet,' he said. 'Yes, a dog will become dangerous and even vicious if fed with human/animal flesh.' --

Duh What a wanker with a wanker job...explaining the most obvious-MOst shrinks are nut cases so IMHO Dog shrinks are wayyyyyyyy down the line towards insanity-IM ::HO

Ugh reminds ::me of the US ::

Archived