New Thai/Farang baby questions

itsmedave

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The possible future advantages to your daughter having her Thai passport outweigh the little trouble it takes to get the passport these days. No visa hassles, land ownership rights, access to affordable health care. May be that 18 years from now Thailand will have some appeal or special opportunities for your daughter.

Anyway to register the birth with the embassy and get a US passport you'll have already jumped the hurdles necessary for a Thai passport (bai wan gurt) as well.

Dave said: "When the hospital staff asked me for her papers in the hospital I said no, and they asked me to give them SOMETHING in 15 days. What can I give them, or can I just ignore it?"

I think there is a 15 day deadline that applies to newborn boys because of mandatory conscription. Unless procedures have changed you will still need to register your baby with the provincial authorities to get the Thai birth certificate. The certificate issued by hospitals is not the official one "bai wan gurt."

Thanks to everybody for your best wishes, your adevice, and your expertise in this matter. It seems I will be forced to do things the Thai way (something I usually try to avoid)

I will try to find a friend with a house I can borrow, and then get the US passport. It will make things easier if I don't have to worry about getting visa's for her to stay in Thailand for the couple years we have left. (and I guess we can be out before the gov't gets too much power and starts forcing people to stay)

As to denying somebody their culture, I'm not the best one to know anything about it, since I'm American and freely admit I have no culture. Still, in my obeservations it appears to me that a strong culture is much like a strong organized religeon...it can be a comfort, but it also can seriously place limits on what you can and can't do with your life.

When I look around the world I see that the countries ruled by culture or religeon are usually third world countries full of poverty and strife. This is not something I want for my daughter. (with all respect to those with a strong organized religeon or culture)

So, anybody got some extra house papers lying around...

Hey you Dave, You are far from uncultured! You write a huge amount about movie culture etc and are one of the more intelligent people here.

It's nothing to do with religion, but, you , me, we can;t predict the future of what our little angels will want to know one day. Maybe yours will shun Thailand, but I doubt it, maybe they will embrace it, maybe they will take the best of BOTH worlds and be a far better person than any of us can be,being so much richer in person for doing so.

Give them the chance to do that.

DOG

Hey you Dave, You are far from uncultured! You write a huge amount about movie culture etc and are one of the more intelligent people here.

I second that. Dave, you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met in LOS. Congratulations, and best of luck. Hope to see you soon.

Sorry, no advice here, like Zaad, I'm still a kid myself. Cheers.

Red (long haired Aussie, met you about a year ago, (or was in 2?) soon after you got hitched from memory.)

The child is eligible for dual citizenship until she reaches 18 then has to make a choice.
This must be from the Thai side. The US State Department's website, while obviously trying to discourage dual citizenship, makes it clear US citizens can have dual nationality. Check here Relevant Web Page from US State Department The relevant quote, which is in bold and italics on the site, reads as follows:
As already noted, the actions listed above can cause loss of U.S. citizenship only if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. citizens intend to retain United States citizenship when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, subscribe to routine declarations of allegiance to a foreign state, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.
Just make sure your daughter doesn't make a run for the Thai Parliament. Congrats!

Thai law was amended in 1999/2000 if my memory is ccorrecct to allow Thai dual citezenship.

Delegations made trips to Australia etc to encourage this (which is why I know)

A number of Thais I know, where then ONLY Australians, and then reclaimed their thai identities.

Australia, also in early 1990's did the same thing.

OF COURSE for a long time many people had both, who and how would they ccheck!

DOG

Hello Dave,

Congratulations to you and Dee on the birth of your daughter.

We had our interview/appointment at the U.S. Embassy yesterday to obtain our son's 'consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.A.' ... this will function as his birth certificate in the States if we ever move back. We had to present Andy's Thai birth certificate. In order for a Thai hospital to issue a birth certificate, one must present the wife's tabian bahn (or copy of it). Also, you need a copy of the Thai birth certificate and a translation of it into English for the Embassy ... when you have all your documents, call Mrs. Cook to arrange appointment (tel: 02-205-4049). She's a sweetheart.

If you apply for a social security card (we did), the Social Security Administration requires that the translation be 'certified' by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs ... bit of a pain in the ass if you want it in same day as we did ... made us pay 800 Bt (and wait for 2 hrs.) instead of 400 Bt. if you can go back and pick up the certified translation in 2 days. It takes approximately 4 months to receive the social security card.

The application of the Consular report cost $65.00; and, the U.S. Passport cost $70.00 ... we can pick up both in 3 weeks. We'll go up on a friday (feb. 18th) so we can drop into Gullivers'. I/we hope to see you there.

Again, "congratulations" on your bundle of joy.

BTW, Andy looks like a farang baby, except for the Isaan nose, which doesn't bother me a bit! ;)

Until fairly recently, one had to return to the province listed in the tabian bahn to obtain a Thai ID card. The ID number will be the same number as listed on the original Thai birth certificate. The new law now allows one to obtain this ID in the province where you reside, although your wife's residence in Isaan will be cited on your daughter's ID, unless you purchase property in BKK or another province. The tabian bahn must be presented to obtain it (usually at age 15). Since I bought my wife a home in East Pattaya, we are all listed in a new tabian bahn in Chonburi Province ... but, we're (the 3 of us!) still listed in my wife's earlier tabian bahn in Chaiyaphum. Yes, that's in Isaan. The family will soon move into their newly constructed, 3 bdrm home with western toilet (but no shower!) on the day the monk deems appropriate. Then we'll drive up for an extended visit. Andy, who'll be 2 in March loves palying in the village ... and, I can't blame him! Myself, I don't believe in denying my son his heritage ... despite certain 'reservations' I have regarding my in-laws!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived