Meditation

Pescator

Hi Pharcyde,

Danish friend of mine did a course at the Tiger Cave Temple in Krabi. Dunno if you are familiar with this particular one, but it is situated right at the foot of huge limestone outcroppings. Absolutely spectacular area.

I mean if you wanna do a course, why not pick one situated in beautiful and peaceful surroundings.

Actually my friend stayed at the Wat for a month living in a kuti and taking part in the monks` daily lives, while recieving lessons on buddhism.

The accomodation was nothing grand though, but you will be prepared for that I am sure :)

I cannot offer you any particulars about the course

as I have a rather secular orientation and don`t know much about this kind of stuff :o

If you are interested I could try to get into contact with him and find out more.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hej Hua Nguu,

Thank you for the idea. I wont be able to spend a whole month in such a secluded place, as my time in thailand this time will be about 5 weeks. So, even though I like to sound holy, I still need at least some time for the beers and the music... :D

However, if you could get some more details about the wat at the tiger cave, it would, optionwise, be useful to me. Tings like language (even if I speak passable Thai, the Pali scripts are quite a mouthful), teachings, accomodation, and donations to the wat would be useful facts to know more about.

Actually I think I know what temple you are on about. Some years ago I climbed the thousand steps up to a wat on top of a hill in the outskirts of Krabi. I didnt see no tigers, but I think it was called the tiger cave around there.

Best,

Pharcyde (on the bizarre ride)

There are different type of meditations

so my questions are:

1. Do you know what kind of meditation you are looking for?

2. Have you ever done this before? Meditating takes time and practice.

3. Is there a reason why you want to do this?

If I were going to do it I would try Dhamakaya,I know the organisation has it's critics but what does'nt. Wat Paknam in Thonburi, very famous book called my life as a budhist monk by Richard Randall is a good read concerning Dharmakaya. Tells of arriving at Duang Mung and travelling into Bkk on mud raods through many villages (1954)-peter

Hi Pharcyde,

Yep, that is the one I was referring to.

By the way, when climbing the steps of this very challenging staircase, did you bring a sack of concrete with you? :)

I noticed that they were building a shrine on the top of the hill and right next to the stairs were a pile of concrect sacks with a sign saying something like: If you wanna make merit bring a sack of concrete to the top to help us build the shrine. :o

I made no merit on that particular day ::

I sent an email to my friend, but it bounced back, seems like his address is invalid.

And he is not in the country at the time being.

I am afraid it is going to take a while before I can reach him. Sorry about offering advice and now being unable to deliver :o:cover:

Hua Nguu,

No worries at all. I will see what I can find once I get to LOS. Also I have some info on a wat in Charoengsao (sp), where you can go for 5-10 days of simple contemplation.

And thats prolly what I am going to do.

MightyMouse: This will be like a first time experience for me, so I dont know too much about the whole subject of meditation. All I know is that I would like to try and clean up all my excess thoughts about ciggies, beer, and work. I want to try to think only about the most essential things on a daily basis. Can you recommend a special place then?

Albeit I wont have much time to do it, I will probably lose the patience within the first week, but then again small steps also take you somewhere.

Thai3: Thank you for the recommendation. I will have a look into the details of Wat Paknam in Thonburi.

Obviously there are many possibilities here, I will see once I get there. Also, I will prepare myself the first week by lying only on the beach on Lanta. Then we´ll see.

Cheers.

Pharcyde.

I think it is an excellent idea and I try and do a daily meditation myself.

Any and all Temples in Thailand will provide instruction in

Buddhist philosophy and meditation. Some as the posters indicated will be more Farng friendly and have English speaking Monks if you do not speak Thai.

Hi,

I have heard great reports about Suan Mok's ten day retreats in Suratthani:

The happen at the beginning of every month and the fee is only 1,500 baht all in.

Click here to find out more.

Here's a sample of what you can expect on an average day:

04:00 ***

Rise & Shine

04:30 ***

Reading

04:45

Sitting meditation

05:15

Yoga / Exercise

07:00 ***

Sitting meditation

08:00

Breakfast & Chores

10:00 ***

Dhamma Talk

11:00

Walking or Standing meditation

11:30

Sitting meditation

12:00

12:30 ***

Lunch & Chores

14:30 ***

Meditation Instruction & Sitting

15:30

16:15

Sitting meditation

17:00 ***

Chanting & Loving Kindness Meditation

18:00

Tea & Hot spring

19:30 ***

Dhamma Talk

20:00

Walking or Standing or Sitting meditation

21:00 ***

Bedtime Goodnight ... (the gate will be closed at 21:30)

22:00

LIGHTS OUT

*** signifies that the Large Bell will be rung just before the activity begins.

Please Remember

To Maintain silence skillfully, gently, joyfully;

To abstain from reading and writing (except note taking);

To stay within the center? s boundaries at all times;

To be mindful & respectful of each other;

To help out & take personal responsibility for the retreat;

To relax, smile, & discover the truest peace there is.

Archived