Windows 2000 / Restricting Users on a PC

gawguy

When you look at "Users and Groups" you see that a regular "user" should not be able to open anyone elses's files. Or am I wrong??

Because I am the administrator on my computer and I set up a "user" account for the gf. When logged in as her, she can navigate to my "documents" folder and open documents. I want to be able to restrict that. In fact I don't want her to be able to see my "my documents" folder.

Can I do that? And why can she get into "my documents" folder anyway?

GG

Hi,

are you logged in as user administrator or is your account of the type administrator?

I don't have Win2k but WinXP and it might work the same.

Open windows explorer, right-click on My Documents and choose Properties.

Choose the Tab Sharing and check the box 'Make this folder private'. If there is this Tab and checkbox in Win2k, that is.

If it is different in Win2k then I'm sorry, can't help.

Check to see that her "user" account doesn't include "administrator" rights.

But more importantly I think you should check "My Documents" directory contents. It shouldn't be the same as your ID.

Each user has their own separate "My Documents" directory under their ID in the root drive of your boot directory under "Documents and Settings".

Course there are ways around that, but that's the default windows installation (for 2000 and XP).

(just a note, I've always formated my hard drives ntfs and not fat32. ntfs allows for rights management. You may not be able to protect the viewing of the files with fat32, not sure, can't remember that far back, lol. But they would STILL have to switch to YOUR "my documents" directory under your ID under "Documents and Settings" directory in the root directory of the boot disk. Did I lose yah?)

Hope you get it worked out!

:)

<<burp>>

GG,

Finally a question i can answer my lurking days are over.

Win2K uses inherited permissions by default so you need to

protect each folder.

Right click the My Docs folder,properties,security

Press the add button chose your login and OK

Uncheck allow inherited permissions

Popup box press remove

Only your logon name left

Check full control

Press apply

You now will have a private My docs.

Nok :angel:

Archived