And the killer still walks free!

Flashermac

But just days after Brit backpackers Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott told of their happiness to be in Thailand they became tragic victims of a brutal murder.

Photos from their digital camera show the carefree lovers posing on the infamous bridge over the River Kwai?the spot where they would soon be gunned down.

Other snaps show them enjoying an elephant ride and shopping for clothes they would never get to wear.

Their messages home describe their travels and touchingly urge their families not to be concerned about their welfare. The first e-mail, sent on July 4 after they arrived, said: "Bangkok's a bit of a shock to the system. Mums stop worrying now?got here OK."

Days later after journeying upcountry by train they wrote: "We decided to take a trip to leafy Kanchanaburi. The locals seem to like us. Booked into treehouse-style accommodation?quality.

"Yesterday we did some trekking and bamboo-rafting and a trip back to the railway and over the Kwai River Bridge. Everything is cool and we are both happy."

Ironically. travel agent Adam, 25, and 23-year-old fitness instructor Vanessa were so keen on the place and its people they returned for their final few days?and were callously slaughtered in the early hours of September 9.

Groping

Part-time cop and bar owner Somchai Wisetsingh, right, appeared in court on Friday accused of murdering them both after a punch-up in his S&S restaurant.

He is alleged to have sparked the fight with Adam by groping Vanessa. When the couple left, Wisetsingh is said to have chased them in his Volvo before blasting two bullets into Adam. As Vanessa fled in terror the Thai is accused of mowing her down with his car and shooting her three times as she clung to a pylon screaming for help.

Wisetsingh? said to have mafia connections?went on the run before giving himself up in October. He faces execution if found guilty when the trial ends next month.

He is still free on bail until the written verdict is delivered. And last night Adam's devastated dad Brian, 57, told how he fears witnesses may be nobbled or that Wisetsingh, 39, may abscond again and evade justice.

The facts stated here are different from what previous stories mentioned. Witness(es) had said adam was in the car with the shooter at one point.

Since the shooter had the means to get the judge to release him on bail (even after he had been a fugitive for a month), what are the chances the judge will convict the guy? Zero. Its a lost cause for the parents of adam and vanessa.

If one of my own met a fate like that, the shooter would be taken care of in good time.

<< What happened to the "innocent till proven guilty" stuff ?????

Your title tries to beat the sensationalism of The Sun >>

Now just a dang minute there, fella. This "innocent until proven guilty" guy has already CONFESSED to the killings! Let me repeat that ... he ADMITS he gunned down both tourists.

That is the unbelievable thing about the judge turning him loose on bail. He admits to shooting dead two unarmed tourists, but the judge lets him out because it is "his first offence"! I mean, it's not like he has committed double homicides before.

The guy even was photographed re-enacting the killings for the police, with the pictures on the front pages of the Thai newspapers.

His story is that Adam and his girlfriend got into a fight, and he innocently tried to intervene. But Adam SPIT at the killer, so honour demanded that he shoot him dead. He says he didn't mean to kill the girl and that she "must have been hit by stray bullets".

Yeah, right. Any way you look at it, the guy is a killer. Intriguingly, he says that he had been hiding out in Burma, with the help of the "son of an influential politician". Duangchalerm?

Here we go all over again, only this time the gunman has confessed to the killings. Maybe the court will find that spitting warrants murdering two people. After all, TIT.

::

Unfortunately we Westerners are subject to the same sense of "law an order" that the Thais are IE Its "who you know."

I have a freind that has been batttling a trumped up charge for THREE years simply as a matter of point-(against a huge player in LOS)Yep he is amazingly stubborn and innocent and now absolutely broke.In Thailand it does not "generally" matter who is right.

I feel terribly for their parents and family.This is a perfect example of the "BANGNA THREAD" AND WHAT CAN HAPPEN IN A SPLIT SECOND. Fly is gone for good, as I spoke to him on the phone a few weeks ago but I am sure he would second this opinion.

Yep it is just a wonderful judicial system here :( I have watched how this sytem works throouh my friends case mentioned above and others and it is just so dirty...a mockery of a civilized society...

Unbelievable :(

from thesun.co.uk (who don't allow direct links to stories)

"LAWYERS, police and the defendant at a murder trial wore VALENTINE HEARTS yesterday as grisly evidence was heard about the deaths of two British backpackers.

The stickers were handed out by the court clerk in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, who wished everyone ?a happy day?.

Police Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh, 38, denies running over and shooting Vanessa Arscott and shooting Adam Lloyd. Both were 24, and from Devon.

The court heard splashes of blood, hair, and skin were found on Wisetsingh?s car.

Spent bullet casings were found at the scene near the River Kwai and in the defendant?s car.

The trial continues."

I also heard the defence is saying the bullets don't match the gun.

Thyanks for that link, long thread! I kept up with it for a couple of days when it first came out then forgot about it. When i did not see posts from fly i thought maybe he was down in phuket being busy with the aftermath.

So Fly has officially retired. I enjoyed the hell out of debating with him and will miss him.

Archived