Westerners' Rights and Globalization...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chuckwoww said:

Yeah I figured you couldn't be 100% serious. Anybody who wastes their time tried to change Thais into Westerners obviously has more spare time than sense. Again that's just my opinion. :)

Ohhh but I WAS serious. I have quit supporting Thailand in any way, shape and form.

And to anyone who asks me how it is to live in such exotic places as the ones I have lived in in the past 4 years (US included) I tell it exactly like it is. No PC nonsense crap.

That's the little I can do alone, imagine the expat or "visiting" community all doing the same and the word of what it's really like for a foreigner, for "one of us", living in 3th world countries such as Thailand spreading back at home like the recounts of the "legendary" nightlife have done in the past and imagine the effect that could have on tourism or political pressures or even effects on the generous donations in events like the recent tragedy of the tsunami...

chuckwoww said:

I need a recap here. Can somebody tell me exactly what the Thais are supposed to do? Apparently well-connected foreigners can own property in Thailand. Foreign companies that benefit the economy are welcome. Freeloaders are not. Thais shop at Tesco Lotus. They watch our movies. They learn English. They are developing a taste for fast food. They are tolerant when it comes to sex. They don't expect anybody to go to church. Young people in the main respect their elders. Their visa requirements are designed to make sure they don't get swamped by expats. Where are they going wrong? Corruption? It takes different forms in the West that's the only difference.

Some in Bangkok might, nothing from that around Chumpon or Udon. The nearest Lotus/Big C is at 200km from here, no western movies etc here. Learning English??? are you joking??? Schoolkid's english knowledge is laughable over here, as for adults don't ask....

Well look at the European Union, you can move, work, buy, sell, live freely in any of the Ec countries.

That was not the case in 1988 where I had trouble getting a Belgian residence permit for a portugese girl, whils Portugal was EC member since 1980. There was a 10 year buffer period for "freedom" Nowadays europeans have real freedom. As a non-immigrant in Thailand you are no more than a piece of shit.

Thailand has a long way to go, and with their protectionism wil not get anywhere in the next hundred years. I have no illusions and no faith in this country. I just live here because I like to live here, not because I like Thailand. Bullshit.

chuckwoww said:

Good luck with your mission. Boy you guys love your missions. Nothing like a good mission to give meaning to life. :)

Besides that not being a "mission" (I have *quit* doing something, not started something else) I have found that mai-pen-rais get me nowhere... ::

thalenoi said:

Some in Bangkok might, nothing from that around Chumpon or Udon. The nearest Lotus/Big C is at 200km from here, no western movies etc here. Learning English??? are you joking??? Schoolkid's english knowledge is laughable over here, as for adults don't ask....

Well look at the European Union, you can move, work, buy, sell, live freely in any of the Ec countries.

That was not the case in 1988 where I had trouble getting a Belgian residence permit for a portugese girl, whils Portugal was EC member since 1980. There was a 10 year buffer period for "freedom"

Thailand has a long way to go, and with their protectionism wil not get anywhere in the next hundred years. I have no illusions and no faith in this country.

I don't want to go into this point by point. My point about Tesco was because a big company like that can buy its way into Thailand. That's the way its done. Same way Nervous Dog gets to buy property...or thinks he does.

The reason the kids there aren't learning English the way you would wish is probably because they don't give a shit. How many American kids would sit in a classroom trying to learn Thai?

Why keep comparing Thailand with places like Belgium? Chalk and cheese.

What you call protectionism they call protecting their own interests. They don't want foreigners moving in and buying everything up, but being Thai they will never come right out and say so.

"As a non-immigrant in Thailand you are no more than a piece of shit." Not quite that bad but you're close. Any falang who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded in my opinion.

"I just live here because I like to live here, not because I like Thailand. Bullshit." That sounds like a contradiction to me but I think I know what you mean. :)

FigJam - your reply re BOI is totally misleading as I assume you have no experience it.

I have, having been granted BOI status twice,

First time the company was a Taiwanese High Tech company, $20million US Cap.

Good size,

2nd time was a tiny 2million baht company,

Both times rediculously easy, Visa's at the onestop shop are extremely easy to process, I used to do it my self for me and farang staff.

So - it's NOT just for "BIG" companies, small SME's can be set up, and 100% farang owned, as long as your in an indistry they want (software etc)

The land part is a right you get, never used it, though we did concider when we set up the first company, as we looked at manufacturing here, never manufactured, so never did the land thing.

If you have a year to sell land, I think you'd do quite nicely.

Most other comments of your I probably agree 50%, howevver please don;t spread misinformation about BOI as they are incredibly helpfull

DOG

FIGJAM said:
chuckwoww said:

Good luck with your mission. Boy you guys love your missions. Nothing like a good mission to give meaning to life. :)

Besides that not being a "mission" (I have *quit* doing something, not started something else) I have found that mai-pen-rais get me nowhere... ::

So no more Thailand for you then. No more welcoming smile at Don Muang. No more pointless banter with the thieving bar-girls. To hell with the place. I'm sure you will be sadly missed. In fact the whole economy may collapse...again. :)

chuckwoww said:So no more Thailand for you then. No more welcoming smile at Don Muang. No more pointless banter with the thieving bar-girls. To hell with the place. I'm sure you will be sadly missed. In fact the whole economy may collapse...again. :)

Note that I am not saying we all should desert LOS, my wife being Thai that's not even an option for me.

For at least the next two years, just like we have done during the past year, we will be holidaying in Italy and other places in Europe but in the future there will surely be some trips to Thailand.

"Supporting" was not strictly meant in an economic sense but in the widest meaning of the word.

As for those "thieving bargirls", the bar nightlife is actually the only thing that I (greatly) miss of Thailand... :spin:

Archived