Why over stay a tourist visa

Isn't it cheaper and about as easy to get thee to the tourist office in Patong or Pattaya or where ever and get and extension????? Can't you get up to 3 30 days in total...I see all those people in the little Sin Bin office passing along another contibution to the local immi officers....My next exit will be on an Non Immi O with the little depart stamp so I done with all those trivialities on life.

A true tourist visa for most countries is 60 days and can be extended for 30 more days for 1900 baht plus photos and passport photo copies. Some would rather just pay for a few extra days on the way out at 200 baht/day. The problem with this is you get "overstay" stamped in your passport and have to worry about getting caught on an expired visa which can be very serious. Best keep it legit if possible.

Getting caught is the deal...One can toss the passport to get rid of the stamp etc but I find it much nicer to play by the rules. Look at it this way, would one pay 1900 baht to get out of immi-slammer. All would say yes. So don't overstay. Next arrival will be on a NonImi-0 so away I go.

• 2 weeks later...
Flashermac said:

I wish the Thais would learn from Malaysia. Malaysia gives you 3 months FREE on arrival. And if you want to extend for another 90 days, there's no need to leave the country. TIT

This is usually through an agreement with your home country and Thailand. That is how it is determined how many days you can stay. At least, being an American, I don't have to get a visa to travel to Thailand like they need to travel to the U.S.

If I am wrong about this than I stand corrected.

Archived